Hope you all have a great 4th, and a question.

I have the 00 dak, with 4.7l 5spd man.

It has an A/C problem, I would like some opinions on. Here are the symptoms as I know them.

1>Turn on A/C, it blows cold, until it decides by internal temp setting {or what not}, to cycle the compressor off, then it will not come back on, I mean fans blow hot air etc.. 2> Turn on A/C, blows cold again, if I shut it off before it cycles, it will run on "vent" for example, then I turn back to On, it works ok as long as I DO NOT let it cycle itself.

IF I get out of the pickup after it cycles itself, the magnetic clutch will grip enough to stick any tool to the clutch, but it will not engage unless I "tap" on it, then it will again do either 1 or 2 above. I tried a high pressure switch, as I changed it, there is some dark green liquid, in the switch area that seals up with the Freon (coolant)

I'm scared it might be some kind of stop leak crap, anyone know what it is? When I say green (dark green) I mean dark but like the color of good tree leaves, not pine green.

Here is the conundrum, the clutch is only avail from MOPAR? costs something like $225 if my mechanic gets it, plus his labor... unknown if I buy it, I can surely put it on. Whole AC pump with clutch is like 300-350, but then I need to restore the coolant, dryer etc, racking it up to >$600 to fix it.

A. Do I just try the clutch? B. Is there some other device that would prevent it coming on, like if it thinks the truck is running to hot, or when pulling a trailer?

Reply to
PlowBoy

I'd check for vacuum leaks to the heater door before spending a lot of money..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Well thanks Mac, but every time it is NOT working, the clutch is NOT engaged, and temp fix is to whack clutch with a crescent wrench, then it will run again until it cycles off, lol.

Reply to
Plowboy