Horn ?

The old van has developed a personality all it's own over the years. Its latest quirk is when it is hot out like above 90 degrees the horn blows every time I
hit a bump going out my dirt driveway. 'Wouldn't be bad but I'm 8/10 of a mile from the highway. It was so bad yesterday that I pulled the horn fuse. I'm thinking that it may be the horn relay? Any other ideas?
beekeep
On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 08:55:10 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@radix.net (beekeep) wrote:

My guess: if it has a 'clock spring' in the steering wheel, that's it. If not then the same location, the wire for the horn. Either case, it's shorting out, also check the wire along the harness, too.
If the horn has a seperate connector (not sure in your case) try unplugging it at the steering column and see if that helps. Hot weather is a major clue, IMHO: the insulation gets warm (and soft) and the wire is able to move more then when cold.
Of course, unplugging the horn relay is a test, but I'd guess it won't be the problem.

It got even better today. I was in the house eating lunch when the horn decided to come on. I went out to pull the fuse (opened the passenger door) and opened the glove box. The horn quit!
I pulled the horn switch eariler in the day and could find nothing wrong. The foam insulater is still good.
beekeep
(beekeep) wrote:

Buy on of those universal horn buttons, some wire and be done with it. Ya don't want to give those old trucks too much new stuff.<G>
Roy

I really don't think its the button or in the column. I figured your answer would have been "PARK IT IN THE SHADE." 8>)
beekeep
On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 21:14:38 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@radix.net (beekeep) wrote:

Hell no, neither is the solution. Upgrade to air-horns is the only reasonable solution to the problem. Full upgrade, with air-valve instead of those pesky electrical bits and pieces.
The girls will love it!