How can I determine Engine in 1998 Dakota?

I have a 1998 Dodge Dakota but I do not know the engine size. It is either a 5.2L or 5.9L. The tag is missing from the door and the VIN is incorrect. It is NOT a 4.7L. Is there a tell-tale sign to distinguish between the 5.2L and 5.9L? They look very similar.

Reply to
ssuckler

I don't think Dodge put a 5.9 in a Dakota.

Reply to
GeekBoy

check the emissions label on the hood it should say 5.9L displacement or

5.2L displacement depending on witch you have.
Reply to
Chris Thompson

Yes, in the RT model, beginning in '98

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

They did. I have one.

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Mine is a 4x4 Club Cab. This wouldn't be an R/T so you think it's most likely a 5.2L?

Reply to
ssuckler

Thanks for the clarification. I had considered buying one around the time. Seemed you got a more featured truck at a lower price compared to the Ram.

Then I got in the truck and drove it and realized you could get a car with the same power, but larger size for a price a lot less.

Reply to
GeekBoy

In '98 the 5.9L was only available in the Dakota R/T and was a midyear addition.

VIN is incorrect? What makes you think so?

Reply to
John Kunkel

What does the under hood sticker show? it can come as a 5.2 or a 5.9 ( the emissions label)

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

On Mar 8, 12:04 pm, "John Kunkel" wrote: .

Because the VIN says the truck is a 2000 w/ 4.7L. It's definitely not a 4.7L. The engine is cast with date of 3/98 and the suspension is for a 98 truck (pitman arm whereas 2000 has rack and pinion). I took the truck to the dealer, they looked up the VIN and said that the truck should be a 2WD with an automatic transmission, but this one is a 4WD with 5-speed manual.

So, basically, this is a 1998 truck with a VIN from another vehicle. I'm not sure why or how, but someone along the line swapped the VIN plate. That's my sad story of getting screwed by a crooked dealer. I tried to get an attorney to sue the guy but no one will take the case because they feel they'll never get paid and I can't afford to pay a lawyer up front. So I guess I'm stuck with the truck.

Reply to
ssuckler

District attoney office can help. People have gone to prison over swapping VINs and misleading people.

Reply to
GeekBoy

He mentioned in another post that the VIN had been swapped by someone else.

Reply to
GeekBoy

Whoever did this, put a hood sticker from a 2000 which says the engine is 4.7L. This was enough to fool the smog tech as I passed the smog test here in California. The test was performed as if the truck was a

2000 4.7L rather than a 5.2L 1998.

I found out about this not being a 2000 when I was involved in an accident. Repair parts were ordered based on the VIN and nothing fit. After trial and error and looking in catalogs, the shop determined (the front-end anyway) was a '98.

Reply to
ssuckler

The easiest way is to look at the harmonic balancer. The 5.2 is an internally balanced engine so the balancer is perfectly circular. The

5.8 has an offset weight as a part of the balancer itself.
Reply to
Steve

The vin and the underhood Emission label are 2 different items. I still see no mention of the underhood label being gone

Reply to
maxpower

The engine size will be programmed into the PCM, connect a scan tool and find out what it says.

Reply to
maxpower

He mentioned that also. A 2000 decal put on his 98 vehicle..

Clearly fraud.

Reply to
GeekBoy

Wow I must be going blind, I missed it twice

Reply to
maxpower

My '98 came with a 3.9, later modals have 5.0. Just curious, what makes you think its a 5.2 or 5.9L?

Reply to
Fat Ass Fred

you think you have a 5.0 in a dakota, i think you need to go look again.

the 5.0 is a FORD engine. try a 5.2 (318cid)

Reply to
Chris Thompson