How can I determine Engine in 1998 Dakota?

Page 1 of 2
I have a 1998 Dodge Dakota but I do not know the engine size. It is either a 5.2L or 5.9L. The tag is missing from the door and the VIN is incorrect. It is NOT a 4.7L. Is there a tell-tale sign to
distinguish between the 5.2L and 5.9L? They look very similar.

I don't think Dodge put a 5.9 in a Dakota.

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 10:02:45 -0600, GeekBoy wrote:

check the emissions label on the hood it should say 5.9L displacement or 5.2L displacement depending on witch you have.

Yes, in the RT model, beginning in '98

Thanks for the clarification. I had considered buying one around the time. Seemed you got a more featured truck at a lower price compared to the Ram.
Then I got in the truck and drove it and realized you could get a car with the same power, but larger size for a price a lot less.
They did. I have one.
-rev

On Mar 8, 7:53 am, snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

Mine is a 4x4 Club Cab. This wouldn't be an R/T so you think it's most likely a 5.2L?

In '98 the 5.9L was only available in the Dakota R/T and was a midyear addition.
VIN is incorrect? What makes you think so?
.

Because the VIN says the truck is a 2000 w/ 4.7L. It's definitely not a 4.7L. The engine is cast with date of 3/98 and the suspension is for a 98 truck (pitman arm whereas 2000 has rack and pinion). I took the truck to the dealer, they looked up the VIN and said that the truck should be a 2WD with an automatic transmission, but this one is a 4WD with 5-speed manual.
So, basically, this is a 1998 truck with a VIN from another vehicle. I'm not sure why or how, but someone along the line swapped the VIN plate. That's my sad story of getting screwed by a crooked dealer. I tried to get an attorney to sue the guy but no one will take the case because they feel they'll never get paid and I can't afford to pay a lawyer up front. So I guess I'm stuck with the truck.

District attoney office can help. People have gone to prison over swapping VINs and misleading people.

not if it started life with a salvage title
GeekBoy wrote:

What does the under hood sticker show? it can come as a 5.2 or a 5.9 ( the emissions label)
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

He mentioned in another post that the VIN had been swapped by someone else.

no mention of the underhood label being gone

He mentioned that also. A 2000 decal put on his 98 vehicle..
Clearly fraud.

beekeep

likes to hang and watch me shine my shoes!
beekeep