How can I determine Engine in 1998 Dakota?

Page 2 of 2

to help

Whoever did this, put a hood sticker from a 2000 which says the engine is 4.7L. This was enough to fool the smog tech as I passed the smog test here in California. The test was performed as if the truck was a 2000 4.7L rather than a 5.2L 1998.
I found out about this not being a 2000 when I was involved in an accident. Repair parts were ordered based on the VIN and nothing fit. After trial and error and looking in catalogs, the shop determined (the front-end anyway) was a '98.
snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

The easiest way is to look at the harmonic balancer. The 5.2 is an internally balanced engine so the balancer is perfectly circular. The 5.8 has an offset weight as a part of the balancer itself.

find out what it says.
On 8 Mar 2007 07:53:33 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

My '98 came with a 3.9, later modals have 5.0. Just curious, what makes you think its a 5.2 or 5.9L?
On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 18:18:35 -0600, Fat Ass Fred wrote:

you think you have a 5.0 in a dakota, i think you need to go look again.
the 5.0 is a FORD engine. try a 5.2 (318cid)

Hey, he learned it from his chemistry teacher! ;+)>
it's stamped on the side of the engine block