hub nut torque on 99 dak 2wd

can someone tell me the torque specs for the large nut holding the hub assy on? anyone else have this go? got 95000kms on mine.

Reply to
Mr Burns

Tighten the nut to about 12ft.lbs., then, while spinning the hub, tighten to about 20ft.lbs. This will seat the bearings. Back off 1/4 turn, then just snug it by hand (around 72in.lbs., if you have an inch-pound torque wrench).

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

"Mr Burns" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com:

My manual say's between 175-190 foot pounds.

Regards Slick_Willy

Reply to
Slick Willy

On a 2WD? Good luck getting the wheel to turn afterwards :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

2WD or 4WD wasn't specified.

The OP should clarify.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

The responder should pay more attention to the subject line...

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Oops...

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Actually, I've done this 3 times without any problem as I replace my wheel bearings every 50,000 miles. I wonder why you say good luck getting the wheel to move. Not only do I not have a problem, it spins freely with 1 finger! Do you have a manual for reference ? If you do, what does it say to use ? I would find it hard to believe my manual is that much differnt than yours.Never had a problem, except for the dealer charging $13 for the hub nut.

Slick_Willy.

Reply to
Slick Willy

You have tightened the hub nut to 175-190 ft-lbs on a 2 wheel drive 3 times and drove it that way for 50,000 at least two of those times??????? Do you change your front tires every 500 feet as well?

Reply to
TBone

"TBone" wrote in news:SThlf.5551$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com:

Does anybody have a manual that can check that setting ? I don't understand why you have a problem with this. My Haynes and Clymer manual both list this as a torque value? I suppose the FSM is the difinitive source, but again, both books couldn't be that off, could they? If you want, I can scan that page and post it here. The whole bearing assembly spins freely with 1 finger.

Reply to
Slick Willy

You gotta be confusing inch pounds with foot pounds.

Reply to
Roy

Well, here's the torque wrench I use ...

I am not confusing inch pounds with foot pounds. This 1 3/8" nut holds the entire hub assembly to the steering knuckle ( I think that's the name of it ). Remember, on the Dakota, the wheel bearings are sealed in the hub assembly. The wheel attaches to the hub assembly as the wheel studs are built into it.

Reply to
Slick Willy

actually i found the page in the haynes manual that lists the torque and it does say 185 Ft-lbs, thanks for the info.

Reply to
Mr Burns

Okay - my bad. I didn't know the Dak's used a sealed bearing/hub even with a 2WD. Most 2WD vehicles use a set of servicable bearings - which get adjusted to much, much lower torque values.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence