hub nut torque on 99 dak 2wd

can someone tell me the torque specs for the large nut holding the hub assy on? anyone else have this go? got 95000kms on mine.

Tighten the nut to about 12ft.lbs., then, while spinning the hub, tighten to about 20ft.lbs. This will seat the bearings. Back off 1/4 turn, then just snug it by hand (around 72in.lbs., if you have an inch-pound torque wrench).

My manual say's between 175-190 foot pounds.
Regards Slick_Willy

On a 2WD? Good luck getting the wheel to turn afterwards :)

2WD or 4WD wasn't specified.
The OP should clarify.

The responder should pay more attention to the subject line...
In article

Oops...

Actually, I've done this 3 times without any problem as I replace my wheel bearings every 50,000 miles. I wonder why you say good luck getting the wheel to move. Not only do I not have a problem, it spins freely with 1 finger! Do you have a manual for reference ? If you do, what does it say to use ? I would find it hard to believe my manual is that much differnt than yours.Never had a problem, except for the dealer charging $13 for the hub nut.
Slick_Willy.
You have tightened the hub nut to 175-190 ft-lbs on a 2 wheel drive 3 times and drove it that way for 50,000 at least two of those times??????? Do you change your front tires every 500 feet as well?
"Slick Willy" <d snipped-for-privacy@BenDoveryahoo.com> wrote in message

Does anybody have a manual that can check that setting ? I don't understand why you have a problem with this. My Haynes and Clymer manual both list this as a torque value? I suppose the FSM is the difinitive source, but again, both books couldn't be that off, could they? If you want, I can scan that page and post it here. The whole bearing assembly spins freely with 1 finger.

You gotta be confusing inch pounds with foot pounds.

Well, here's the torque wrench I use ...
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do ? BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid944642000
I am not confusing inch pounds with foot pounds. This 1 3/8" nut holds the entire hub assembly to the steering knuckle ( I think that's the name of it ). Remember, on the Dakota, the wheel bearings are sealed in the hub assembly. The wheel attaches to the hub assembly as the wheel studs are built into it.
actually i found the page in the haynes manual that lists the torque and it does say 185 Ft-lbs, thanks for the info.

Okay - my bad. I didn't know the Dak's used a sealed bearing/hub even with a 2WD. Most 2WD vehicles use a set of servicable bearings - which get adjusted to much, much lower torque values.