If Ford had Cummins?

Page 1 of 13
Would you oil burners stick with mopar or look at both?
Mac

i didnt buy a dodge, i bought a cummins. when chrysler replaces the cummins with a mercedes, ill have a new king ranch cummins.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

That's what I was wondering, nate... I've heard a few folks say that they didn't buy a dodge, they bought a Cummins with a Dodge wrapped around it.. Mac

I bought a 2004 Ram 3500 several months ago to pull my 36' 5th wheel. It is running a little rich so I called the local Cummins shop to set up an appointment and was surprised, no, shocked to be told that they couldn't work on Dodge Cummins newer than 2002 since Dodge totally owned the engine and Dodge dealers were the only ones that could read the computer codes.
The dealer I bought mine from had changed the oil and put a sticker on the windshield to have the oil changed again in 3,000 miles! I don't want them working on my truck!
How do the folks in here handle this problem.
Thanks,
Ken

dropping the cummins will be their biggest fuck up to date. cummins saved dodge from bankruptcy, and has kept them alive since. this is typical german arrogance....afterall their product simply must be superior to anything we could make.....and it will be their undoing. they just dont understand the american consumer, such as thinking commercials of an elitist german answering consumer questions actually appeals to joe six-pack.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

Did I miss something here? You make it sound like this is a done deal (MB to replace Cummins)?

my understanding is that the cummins contract expires in 2010, and that at that point dodge will switch over to the mercedes engine. this is certainly in keeping with the goals of daimler (cross platform designs showing up particularly in the jeep lineup).
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com
I would like to see the MB Diesel in the Dakota, that would be a positive for that line in my opinion. But who cares what I think andy

I would like to see a Hemi in the Dakota.

It would be their only fuck up since going with the Cummins in 88. Since then, the truck line has consistantly grown in sales until the recent fuel pricing.

Rubbish. Chrysler was saved from bankruptcy by the K-car. Restyling the pickup was what made the trucks sell more, since 5 years of Cummins availability (88-93) did jack shit for sales volume.

Their diesels have consistantly made more power for the weight of the engine. These two key numbers are what makes a vehicle get better fuel economy and performance. Sure, they are arrogant, BUT... the German designed diesel is a very good product.

The Cummins is very popular but the replacement, if there is one, will be at least as good regardless of popularity.

Sadly, Deiter Zeitsche is far from being an elitist German, about as far as Lee Iacocca was from being an elitist Italian immigrant. Certainly both were upper class and well off, but neither was elitist. BOTH realize that to sell cars, one has to market an affordable product to the masses.
"Dr. Z" is the only reason Chrysler and DC as a corporation are still operating successfully today. Want proof? Look no further than the Board of Directors who dumped Jergen Schremp in favor of Zeitsche because Deutsch Bank demanded some one who knew what they were doing be promoted. Chrysler was still making a profit when Mercedes started heading for the tank several years ago.
You want an elitist German? His name was Jergen Schremp. You want elitist Americans? Look at the execs that sold Chrysler to the krauts in the first place.
How about really elitist..... Like FoMoCo dumping 10,000 white collar workers to cut costs..... How the fuck do you hire 10,000 extra people who are NOT directly involved in production? Easy..... you elevate your cronies so they too can enjoy the upper class payscale.
How about arrogant..... Like GM deciding that in order for Delphi to be able to proceed without rolling bankruptcy, all the workers had to take 55% pay cuts to $10 an hour. Yeah, thats down from $24 an hour. Exactly who do you figure would take that deal willingly?
Face it, at this point Chrysler is the only american manufacturer that is running anywhere near the black ink, and isn't scurrying for solutions to insolvancy. They must understand something about the American consumer.
--
Max

no, there have been others. giving up the bragging rights of being top dog (in terms of torque) to the duramax is one. the chrysler/daimler merger is one. the rampant lift pump failure issue is one. i keep hearing something about the #5 cylinder. dropping the jeep cherokee for the liberty is one. killing the tj is one. going with a v6 is one (carries far more significance in jeep circles than truck groups). there are plenty of fuck-ups, im only saying this will be their (daimler/chryslers not just dodge) biggest to date.

the kcar was a big hit certianly, but it died as fast as it rose. the restyle was great, but surely you dont think it would have been as successful with a foreign diesel? ford has been trying to get their hands on the cummins for some time. for years ive felt that ford builds the best truck on the market, and putting the best engine in the market will be the boost ford needs to get back on top.

sure, but that has less to do with sales than marketing. just the fact that it says "cummins" on it sells engines. todays duramax is consistantly getting better mileage than todays cummins, and its producing more power with less weight yet its popularity is dying.

most anything german is a good product, but again we have marketing to joe six-pack.

being as good and selling as good are two different matters entirely.

doesnt matter much, as he is perceived as such. joe six-pack doesnt like arrogant foreigners and this is critical if youre trying to get joe six-pack to give you his money.

i dont agree. the top sellers were in place since long before the merger.

agreed, BUT......we're back to joe six-pack. joe six-pack hears his german accent in the commercials and takes note of his arrogance. if you want to sell cars you take the same commercial that "Z" was in and replace him with carrol shelby (or someone similar) and THEN youll sell cars to joe six-pack.

at this point theyre selling the cummins engine. its going to be interesting to see what happens with the release of their new models.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

Pray tell, how were they cured? I know of 3 years the damn things were going south on.
Roy

There were several places that retro-fit kits could be had. After the years there was a problem, Chrysler obviously solved the problem.
--
Max

which should tell you all you need to know about how common the issue was/is.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

It sure does... all those places were performance outlets, catering to those thta were making more power than the factory lift pump was designed to feed.
IOW, the problem was found among those that modified their trucks, much as I said it was.
Use all the information, and you'll find you get a better picture of reality. Use pieces of it, and you just might invade a Middle Eastern nation for no apparent reason.
--
Max

Gotta disagree with you there. Stock trucks LP's's were failing at a alarming rate. IIrc 15K was the average. Most of us carried a spare. Sure those with mods failed quicker.
Roy

nothing to add, just felt it worthy of quoting.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

Interesting, my 2000 hasn't had a problem, nor have any in the area. Also, I'm not alarmed.
--
Max

i cant believe you have been such an active member of this newsgroup for many many years, and you seem surprised by this.