If Ford had Cummins?

Page 3 of 13

give it time. i told you that mine failed at 99,990 "or so" miles.

just do a google on THIS newsgroup for the word "lift pump"

that you would still argue this point without dont any research (evident by the fact that you cannot acknowledge it) validates my earlier statement. your agenda matters most to you, facts be damned.

how about this quote from tom lawrence:
"The only well-known "weak link" on those engines ('98.5 to '02 24V engines) is the factory lift pump. If/when that fails, it kills your injector pump, and that's a 4-figure repair bill. At a minimum, install a fuel pressure gauge to monitor your fuel pressure, so you can detect a failing lift pump before it's too late. If it were me, I'd immediately replace it with an aftermarket pump (as well as install a pressure gauge). "
um......he said it was a weak link max. tom full of shit too? see it for yourself at http://tinyurl.com/ybwqz8 perhaps you should read the entire thread so that you can continue to argue your ignorance.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

I've also got a fuel pressure gauge now. When this lift pump goes out, and we know it will, I will also have an aftermarket fix. The only reason I went with a stock replacement the first time was trying to save a few bucks, foolish in hindsight. The difference in what it cost to do it and what DC was willing to reimburse would've gone a good ways towards a FASS.

nope, NOT gonna happen. max said the issue doesnt exist. :-)
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

He might also tell you I don't have a receipt for replacing a bad lift pump and I didn't cash a $70.00 "reimbursement" check from DC as well. He might also tell you members of our local TDR club didn't have problems either. Most had problems, some were stock, some not. Doesn't matter a whit. I knew when I bought the truck it might be a problem, I DIDN'T know DC wouldn't reimburse the full repair cost. So knowing this, you have a choice, let someone you trust work on it and roll the dice on reimbursement or let the dealer work on your truck. Given this choice and knowing what I know now, the dealer would still NEVER have seen my truck.

All of this discussion has left me wondering when I can expect my lift pump not to go out?
:-) Craig C.

LOL! :-)
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

not until his lift pump takes a shit on him anyway.
......im really surprised to hear how they treated you. i wonder how much influence the dealership has over these decisions? mine failed within 20 miles of my warranty expiring so they replaced the injection pump "just incase" since they knew my warranty would expire on my trip home from the dealership. THATS customer service like ive never known, and it came straight from the cummins rep that the dealership called. i wonder why they would do so much for one customer, and so little for another.

i agree. most folks ive met that had the same issue were also running stock trucks.

i think my '05 bighorn dually ( http://inlinediesel.com/trucks/3gen/1/index.html ) is the "ultimate" truck......the cummins 610, the way towing mode allows overdrive.....i definately prefer the headlights over the '06 model (my OPINION max!).....but if given the chance to buy a new '05 4x4 dually or a new '02 4x4 dually i would take the new '02. i prefer the look (that restyle was awesome from day 1!), i prefer the sound (sounded like a diesel), and i definately prefer the interior. when my 4x4 dually powerstroke ( http://inlinediesel.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID11 )sells im going to replace it with an '01.5/'02 cummins with an automatic.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com
Why do most here assume that DC isn't capable of designing and building an engine that is equal to or superior to the Cummins offerings?

Your kidding right?
Roy
Because the die-hard Cummins fans don't want to see "their" engine of choice replace with something else. Personally, I would be happy to own a Dodge with a MB engine in it, if they would go back the 97 98 body style.

Agreed. The only thing I'd miss is the extra traction of the Cummins sitting on the front axle.
--
Max

id actually like to lighten my front end a little so that i dont have to be concerned about heavy bumpers and snow plows, etc. im told the reason my truck came with a page saying "not for slide in campers" is due to the cummins being to heavy for the front end, not leaving as much room for accessories as other trucks. personally i think they should just beef up the front end.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

The front axle on mine is rated at 5200 lbs, the engine is only 1100 lbs. Plenty of room for a plow. Tires would be more of a concern due to weight ratings.
--
Max

ok, im not being argumentative here. please explain that, as tires are unsprung weight.
ive never weighed my truck to see what is actually getting to the front end, but it does create some question due to the paper in my truck about slide in campers. it doesnt concern me to much since since my trailer has over 1000 pounds of tongue weight when loaded which should lighten the front end of the truck at least a little, but i would like to build a large basket off my winch bumper to hold the generator for my camper.....but i dont know if that would push the front axle rating or not. my generator is nearly 200 pounds, plus the weight of the basket to secure it (another 100 pounds or so).
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

The weight rating on the tires, not the truck. Tires below Range E wouldn't be up to the task. I think my tires are at 3400lbs capacity, which means the axle rating (5200) is less than the tire rating at 6000+ capacity.

Does it weigh more than a plow? If not, no worries. Do you have the plow springs in the truck? If so, no worries.
--
Max

Well, looking at the '07 numbers (because that's all I have handy), yes, the axle is rated at 5200lbs. The curb weight on the front axle is a little over 4,400lbs.
A 9ft. plow setup goes a little under 900lbs. (Meyer shows 890lbs. for their 9' diamond edge model). The front axle's overloaded, and you haven't even gotten in the truck yet.

Whats the total weight of the truck? Not GVRW, but "dry weight"?

Well, figure this....that axle was originally rated at 3800 or so, and the rating changed without any real change in design, if any at all. Plus, the 01's and 02's had a Cummins w/plow option, IIRC.
YMMV.
--
Max

About 7,100lbs.

Again, I'm just reporting numbers. "Plenty of room left for a plow" is a bit of an over-statement, at least for the current trucks. Nate's concerns over the weight on his front axle seem legitimate.

Mine is at 6500 before fuel and driver, so 7000 in stock form. A bit less than the new "improved" trucks.

It looked to be an 02 (?) so he should be looking at similar weighhts to mine, and since the 02 had a plow option.....
--
Max