If Ford had Cummins?

Page 6 of 13

Good luck with that, since the only sources that have complete and solid numbers will be Cummins or DC. They are very unlikely to release such data.
--
Max

The failure rate quoted by the CUmmins article claimed a 17% failure rate "within the warranty period." The warranty period is 100,000 miles. Thus the failure rate included lp's that would have failed for reasons other than the vibration problem that caused the early failures.
--
Max

well..........on the bright side, apparently it appears that the lp was warrantied as part of the engine (100,000 miles) rather than part of the fuel system, which i think fell under the standard warranty period, whatever the heck that was for second gens.

That figure would be interesting to know. I put 300,000 plus miles on my '82 Ramcharger 318 engine, I remember one pump that failed and put me on the side of the road. There could have been another, I just can't remember...if there were, they didn't leave me on the road, those are memorable.
Twice it left me standed, once a fuel pump, once when it was nearly new, about 4,000 miles, it left me on I-55 in the Missouri bootheel well south of Sikeston. I got to a phone, they sent a wrecker, got to the dealer and they had the ignition module replaced before the wrecker had time to get unhooked. Pretty slick.

What is memorable with the LP is when it failed you couldn't go to the dealer and get one put on. Because DC was sitting on the damn thing's. Nor could you go to your local napa and pick one up.
Roy

Not to mention that when a gas engine's fuel pump failed, the car stopped. When the 2nd gen LP's failed, the engine also stopped, but by the time it did, a $2K injection pump was wrecked, as well.
Think about it in those terms.... what else could fail and produce as much damage, dollar-wise? Timing belt on an interference engine? That's why they have regular maintenance intervals.

Very good point.

F-650 and up... never offered in the 450/550 (due to DC's exclusivity contract w/ Cummins)

My mistake, I thought that contract covered only matching GVWR's.
--
Max

YOU made the statement. if i knew you were going to be an ass about it i wouldnt have bothered to ask.

and how is that superior to the dmax which is doing it at less weight? it was afterall, YOU who made the big deal about more power from less weight, or does that only apply to the argument when YOU are using it to your benefit?

NOPE! you arent going to turn that on me. i made general statements and you responded to them. when i called you on it, you try to spin your way off your own statements by throwing personal insults. nice try.
of course, if you didnt try to backpeddle and spin you wouldnt be the max we have all grown to know and love. :-)

it "proves" that the issue was NOT limited to modified trucks as you ridiculously claim. my truck was 100% stock and the LP died at around 99,990 miles or so. the fuel pump was still good, but cummins replaced it anyway "just incase" (cummins advisors words) since my warranty was so close to expiration.

lol.....youre in such blinding denial that it shows just how full of shit your entire argument is. go into the camping forums and tell the nice folks there your totally ridiculous statement about LPs being limited to modified trucks, and how failures were rare amongst stock trucks.
im really disappointed in you max. to disagree is one thing. to argue a point when everyone reading knows better shows youre either completely stupid (i dont believe that) or blinded by loyalty of some kind. regardless, you sir are completely WRONG on this issue.

if it was in a d/c truck honored by a d/c warranty like it or not it is ultimately a d/c fuck up. YOU try again.

oh yes. now you have news releases and tech articles limiting LP failures to modified trucks? is roy dreaming about carrying spares around?

sheesh....grow up.

i never said SHIT about truck owners. i was referencing what the v6 does to JEEPERS.

not yet, and hopefully they wont. they are hardly the profitable company you suggest though.

news flash for YOU. the economy is weakening.

not raising it does not mean that it isnt to high. its still MUCH higher than 2 years ago.

sheesh there you go. at the time it wasnt a bad financial decision, but either way its no big deal. some of us earn enough to soak it up. some of us dont have to wait on an inheritance to buy new trucks. some of us do what we have to in order to maintain our lifestyle, but paying interest will ALWAYS hurt.

all i said was that it fell as fast as it rose. taking whats left and making other cars from the parts isnt the same thing as the k car doing it for the company.

heh.....its never stopped you before, i dont know why i would expect different of you now.

those who buy freightliners are typical joe six-packs. they dont buy into the marketing like the average truck buyer does.

i disagree. more power, more torque at the same rpm, with better fuel economy. on paper the dmax is the one to buy.

nice spin off the point there. you have bought ONE new chrysler vehicle in the last 7 years. i have bought 7 new vehicles (i forgot about the wifeys cherokee the first time around) and 1 used one. i am exactly what d/c and other companies need, returning customers.....and i find Z ignorant. regardless of the merit of your argument, who is more important to d/c.....someone who buys 1 vehicle in 7 years or someone who buys 7?
now spin off that with an insult.

corporate executives typically buy freightliners for their fleets, NOT joe six-pack which is who i have referenced from the start.

i dont think you have. youve said hes done great things, but havent been specific.

im not dumping on him, i simply find him arrogant. although youve retracted it since, you agreed with me at one point.

it DOES matter. if i sell you 3 widgets from which i profit $1 each from, or one superwidget from which i profit $4, from where have i made the most money?
im not saying anything conclusive.....im saying that to reach an accurate conclusion, you need these figures.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

I find this interesting because dodge and Cummins don't seem to agree on engine power output. on the Cummins link above they claim 350hp and 650 torque on the 6.7
http://www.dodge.com/en/chassis_cab/index.html
but on this dodge link, dodge is claiming 305hp and 610 torque on a 6.7 cab and chassis truck.
--
----------------------------
-Chris

apparently dodge requires the engine be detuned for their application.
ok, what now max? sorta REALLY blows your argument out of the water. now the dmax on paper is FAR superior, making WAY more torque at the same rpm from a lighter engine.
wow, thats less power and the same torque as my '05.
.....now im not about to jump from my cummins to any dmax, but once again it does show the merit of max's argument.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

if so i dont see why, the nv5600 and g56 have been holding up well on the bombed trucks as far as i know. autos are always a problem with performance upgrades but obviously they can be built to hold the power so why dodge wouldnt build it that way from the factory to accomodate the new engine i wouldnt know.

i said the same thing...im waiting to see if in a year or 2 it doesnt get unleashed to what Cummins claims.
im guessing, but could it be an auto trans issue holding it back? or maybe who ever wrote the code for their website has the info wrong or (heaven forbid any one do this) typo'd.
i dont know thats just merely speculation on my part.

i dont blame you. i didnt post that to debunk max i was just posting a curious controdiction between the 2 companies websites as i had noticed it months ago.

i can only guess (max, this is MY OPINION) that it would be to keep the warranty claims down. its a real shame, we all know the cummins is built far better than the d-max and as far as the engine it can handle a lot more. perhaps chevy is just willing to take the hit on the warranty claims in order to lay claim to having the most powerful diesel.

that would be sweet to see, but i think dodge would have to rebuild a lot of the truck around it.

that would be my guess, although i was told that the stock 48RE was good for 850 ft. lbs. by the tranny tech at my local dodge dealership.

i understand completely.......i just couldnt give up the opportunity to show the omnipotent one that even he can be wrong sometimes.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com
well this is a little off this topic, but a while back you asked about a toy hauler.. how did that turn out? im curious as to how functional they are for family camping. as i am torn between the toy haulers or a more conventinal 5ver when i get ready to get one. (still a few years away though)
and to stay with the topic of this thread *grin* if ford and dodge both used the cummins isb i'd still drive the dodge!
--
----------------------------
-Chris

im still looking, but decided to wait until november/december. camper dealers are more willing to deal when its 10 below zero, like snowmobile dealers are more willing to deal in june. :-)

i guess it depends most upon your toys. if it werent for my 4 wheelers i wouldnt go camping nearly as much, so without them i really wouldnt even need a camper at all. i like going up into the mountains, setting up the camper, and hitting the trail. if you have toys you need a toy hauler, unless you plan on pulling tandem trailers. in all reality the truck camper works best for the places i go, but its just not quite big enough for when the whole family comes along. i could upgrade to a bigger truck camper, but it still wouldnt be big enough. id _really_ like to just get a class c camper and pull my enclosed trailer with it, but class c 4x4s are rare and really over-priced.
that said, and to keep on topic, if the earth roamer (based on a 4x4 F550 http://earthroamer.com/main_truck/vehicles.html ) gets the cummins ill spend the $200,000 on one. :-)
......see, i DID tie that in to be on topic. lol
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com
see my problem is I don't need another truck to license be taxed on and maintain.
with a slidein I know my wife would never go, they just don't have the room. and I've got to consider her comfort too.
I know I wouldn't be able to tow the boat and camper tandem (30 foot of boat trailer behind 30 foot of camper is probably a little excessive) the golf cart or a motorcycle or a sidebyside would be more what id like to take along. heck even jet skis could roll up in and avoid the whole tandem thing.
let me know how it works out for you, if you would. id be interested to know how the family likes it when they are using it as a camper ect.
--
-Chris

gotcha. i on the other hand, enjoy doing just that for some damn reason. :-)

they have some really nice once, and some really big ones. if it was just me and the wifey what i have now would be perfect.

i didnt even think about a boat. would be awful tough there without going tandem or a truck camper. if its just you and the wife, perhaps you should consider some of the larger truck campers with slide outs. i didnt go that route because as the wife and i travel we take turns driving while the other sleeps in the camper. with the slide outs slidden in it takes up to much room and blocks bathroom access, etc.

will do. that earthroamer sure would be nice with a cummins! :-)