If Ford had Cummins?

Page 8 of 13

I don't do many "me too" posts but this one is good for me as well on all points. With some trepidation I have a new Freightliner M2 on order with the Mercedes engine, 7.2L 300 hp, FSO 8406 six speed. We ( I ) wanted the C series Cummins but it's not available in the 106 chassis with hydrodraulic brakes. Freightliner isn't accepting orders with the Cat engine right now, don't know what's up with that. Even the Kenworth rep didn't have a negative thing to say about the Mercedes power plant, we'll see. I DID get the order in time to avoid the '07 emmissions standards.
On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 14:34:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@whatever.net wrote:

I drove a MB turbo diesel for a while and loved it.. great engine, IMO... I'd also have to factor in the it was an early 80's engine and must have undergone several improvements since then..
Mac

if i misread his intentions ill certainly give him his due apology. ive yet to finish reading the thread.

dont misinterpret my feelings. im just saying that if they do drop the cummins, it will be their biggest fuck up to date.

i just dont see it. perhaps certainly, but the strength of the cummins (from a marketing perspective) is in the name cummins.

although i dont foresee myself ever buying one, i have to give the duramax the credit that it deserves. theyre producing amazing power and holding up far better than i ever thought they would.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

Agreed about the "not blowing their head gaskets all over the place" like many expected to see (me included). But the amazing power/reliability issues? Ehhh... not so well. At stock or mild levels, sure - they're pretty reliable. Turned up to sick levels, they're wearing down pretty quickly. This shouldn't really be a knock on the engine itself, because people are pushing them to do a lot more than they were designed to do.

Nate, that's a bit harsh don't ya think? Or did I miss something again?
Roy

possibly, i dont know mikes intentions but i would like to know how i could be accused of "overreacting" or "blowing smoke" in my PERSONAL OPINION of someone that neither of us knows. i will apologize if its in order.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

Its in order to do so.
--
Max

i think id like to see what mike has to say.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

I think he deserves an apology no matter what he says. You overstepped your bounds and reason. Man up and do the right thing.
--
Max

sheesh, cut out the drama already. youre starting to sound like a girl.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

No, girls have a lack of logic, much like your statements about Mike.
Get it straight.
--
Max

Interesting Nate, since I'm betting that all you know of Mike and Deiter is the same that I know, and your opinion is certainly not based on the same evidence I've seen. Mike is informative factual and reasoned; Deiter is congenial, has a sense of humor, and a great leadership style.
Anyone claiming differently has something clouding their vision of the facts, or has access to info they aren't sharing.
On the side of irony, Deiter is doing exactly what Lee did, and yet, no complaints about Lee.
--
Max

"Sure, they are arrogant, BUT... the German designed diesel is a very good product."
why would you change your statement now?
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

Incorrect and taken out of context. Nice spin, but expected....

This was in reference to Germans in general, not a single individual.

I haven't, you've simply excised it from its context and tried to spin it to suit your needs.
Moving on....
--
Max

spin MY ASS. i took you at your literal statement.

i was referencing d/c marketing, and Z in particular to which you responded. NEVER did i reference germans in general.

fair enough.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

Then you would do well to read all the words, not just those you wish to hear or spin.

--
Max

Excellent news. I'm hopeful that the newer versions of the B series solve the emissions problems without a triple shot of fuel.

What makes ya think that?
--
Max

I gotta agree with ya Max.
Roy
dont get me wrong, im saying that dodge is dumping the cummins. im saying if they do (based on industry rumor), it will be their biggest fuck up.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

Rubbish. Chrysler was saved from bankruptcy by a billion bucks in loan guarantees. The K-car helped but the minivan set the course for future success.