If Ford had Cummins?

Since the 6.7 engine is not currently available in ANY rating , my info was correct.

Try a remedial course in grammar.

Reply to
Max Dodge

LOL, same old Nate..... ask for proven fact, and get a bunch of spin. I have no agenda, and I've looked at all the facts you've presented in support of your statements. I'll take Mike Simmon's word over yours (he sees more than

7 trucks a week, let alone the 7 you've owned in a year or more) on the lift pump issue. As such, while it is an issue (as I said), its not a "rampant" problem.

Now, call me an asshole, and get it over with.

Reply to
Max Dodge

heh......thats pretty sad max. it has indeed. just own it, and go to bed with at least a tiny SHRED of credibility left.

lol.....on the one hand you whine about people stating opinions, demanding documentation.......then when someone provides valid industry documentation you immediately cling to someone expressing an uninformed OPINION that happens to be closer to your beliefs.

to late, you dont even have a shred left.

im not "making it out to be" anything. i will accept the published 1 in 5 and thats completely disregarding those with modified trucks.

no overreaction at all. im happy with 1 in 5. youre simply trying to spin off it.

as i said before......if its in a chrysler vehicle and honored by a chrysler warranty, its a chrysler f*ck up. if one of my employees is working at your place of business and wires something wrong causing your building to burn down, i feel certain that youll be coming for MY insurance company because MY service is what you bought regardless of who i hired to deliver it. SAME THING.

OMG......the lift pump design was "fine" by max! roy, bigironram.......you guys didnt need to replace your lift pumps afterall.....dont you feel stupid?

sheesh max, go to bed buddy. i was having fun poking at you a little, but now youve taken yourself to levels far below what i ever wanted to do.

TRANSLATION --> "i cant even convince myself of my own bullshit anymore"

max.....just own it buddy. the lift pump issue was a piss poor design resulting in rampant failures. i truly hope that when yours fails you wont be in the middle of nowhere. i recommend that you at least keep a spare on board, and change it before it takes out your injection pump.

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

NOT what you said before. we were comparing the cummins to the duramax.....not what might happen in the future. nice try, miserable failure.

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

The dealer wasn't ever involved with this truck so they have no influence at all. It was all DC. Remember I bought this one used but it was still well within the warranty period.

You think you were surprised? I was shocked, I knew they would reimburse warranty repairs, I didn't know they'd weasel out of the full cost. Now that it's on my mind again, in the phone call I was told if I wanted a "free" repair I should've taken it to the dealer. Yeah, right, where they'll tell you it still makes a little pressure or the newer "well, it's still pumping enough volume." Sure, I'll go along with that while inadequate fuel pressure / supply kills the VP-44.

Reply to
BigIronRam

So 17% is the admitted rate. How many were denied and owner repaired with a stock replacement or aftermarket fix? If the vibration issue is true it sounds like the relocation fix is the way to go. Isn't that the Vulcan fix? I've also heard if you relocate the stock lift pump you'll be denied warranty coverage because it's "modified."

Reply to
BigIronRam

I don't think "bombs" had much to do with lift pumps, VP-44's for sure. As long as the engine is running, the lift runs at it's perdetermined rate, it's not responsive to fuel demands so it's not overworked. Remember the VP-44 is fuel lubricated, lots of fuel is returned to the tank. This is the way I understand it and could be wrong. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I am.

Reply to
BigIronRam

Nate, you're rounding up, 17% is more like 1 in 6. Still with all the weaseling they've done I think the actual rate is higher and I don't have any basis to guess how high it is. Whether it's 1 in 6 or higher, it's well past "lemon" status. Remember, I'm only commenting on the lift pump failure rate, not the truck.

Reply to
BigIronRam

I've only found one dealer in this area I had any (not a lot, but they at least tried) faith in. It was a Chrysler Plymouth dealer and they're long gone. Looking back to the sixties at how dealers and manufacturers have treated their customers I'm thinking there was a marked change in the late '70's and early '80's from we sure want you to be happy to "who cares."

I can't document this because I heard it on a radio show, but the story goes Ford used to go out of their way to take care of customers including out of warranty claims to keep their customers satisfied. But a study showed they weren't rewarded with cusomer loyalty so they quit. If I remember right this would have been in the '80's or early '90's.

Reply to
BigIronRam

No offense intended, but wasn't that term Richard Nixon's to imply widespread support for the Vietnam war? I don't think I would've gone there...I mean with that particular term.

Reply to
BigIronRam

I read the same. So if you move the pump and then your injector pump goes south you eat about a 2K repair.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Max, I think issue with the pump was the placement of it which was done by dc. There was a article (yup, another one) a few years ago that went on and on about who was really at fault. It all had to do with failures downstream from a failed pump regards who owned the claim. It's out there somewhere but I gotta tell ya at this stage the gettin' ain't worth the goin'

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Have any of you folks *ever* driven a k-car????? It was junk.

Reply to
D. McDaniels

Agreed but it was cheap to build and dc sold a shit load of them.

Reply to
Roy

I rated it as pretty close to the Escort. Not real good, not horrible either. By todays standards, awful.

Reply to
BigIronRam

roy.........i am not arguing dc's case and i don't disagree with your outlook as a consumer. i was just trying to pass on the info as to why dc made the decision to do it that way. not defending it, just telling why they did made the decision to do it. if mine had gone out and i had to wait i would have been just as pissed as you or the others, especially when i don't bomb my truck and im not willing to wait because dc wants to penalize me for what some other people have done.

Reply to
theguy

Actually, that info. came right from Cummins. Megan Henry, who quoted the

17% number, is one of those Six Sigma "black belt" certified people working in the midrange products division of Cummins (midrange builds the ISB's).
Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I understand your position.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Main Entry: ram·pant Pronunciation: 'ram-p&nt also -"pant Function: adjective Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, present participle of ramper

1 a : rearing upon the hind legs with forelegs extended b : standing on one hind foot with one foreleg raised above the other and the head in profile -- used of a heraldic animal 2 a : marked by a menacing wildness, extravagance, or absence of restraint b : profusely widespread

- ram·pant·ly adverb [rampant illustration]

Nope, even at 17%, its not a "rampant" problem.

Reply to
Max Dodge

i also bought mine used, with well over 99,800 miles on it. i drove it from bozeman to billings and around town a little and then straight to the dealership to find out what the trouble was because the warranty was so close to expiring.

how is that normally handled? i mean, is it "ok" to have an independent fix it under warranty?

Reply to
Nathan In Montana