ignition cylinder

I have a 2001 durango and the ignition cylinder is jammed and no amount of wheel jiggling and key wiggling will get it to turn. so does anybody have any info on causes and solutions. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to change it at this point, so if you know of any special tools or tips I'd appreciate it.

Reply to
Rob Mcgee

Go to a dealer. Requires special tool not publicly available because of theft issues, could cause MUCH more damage trying to fix it - tilt wheel and all. Might seem to be getting better when you're actually loosening critical components of the steering mechanism. Again, take it to a dealer.

Jeff

Reply to
BD

Absolutely. This is no a do-it-yourself moment, leave this one to the professionals.

Reply to
Will Tate

Don't try it, you'll do more harm than good.

Reply to
Ben

And what professionals are we talking about here? :-) LOL

Reply to
Lorne

Reply to
Rob Mcgee

I believe in doing it yourself whenever possible, but a locking pin improperly set sliding into position and locking your steering while your on the freeway just seems like a bad idea. A better choice of words would be leave it to an experienced and knowledgeable mechanic. I've rebuilt motors, changed out trannies, even done my own alignments with a set of sliding rods, but if my ignition cylinder locks up, it's going to the shop. Of course this doesn't apply to my '61 LeSabre ...... ignition's in the dash :)

G'Day Will

Reply to
Will Tate

Reply to