Info on dodge WC54 requested

Hello all,

I am looking for information on the colours and markings of the WWII Dodge WC54 ambulance. But not the standard Olive drab ambulances.

Does any body have any information on this. Colours of Navy-, American Field Service ambulances, markings of MP-, communications-, Fire department-, airport crash vehicles. Any thing different than the standard olive drab ambulance.

Or does any body know where to go to get that information. please drop me a line at t3mmodels at hotmail dot com.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis

Reply to
me-me

These vehicles were finished in standard US matt olive paint and were marked with the usual registration number, national symbols, bridge classifaction and unit numbers etc. In addition the word "ambulance" appeared over the windscreen with a small Geneva Red Cross on a white panel at either end. Early vehicles also carried a white panelled red cross centered on the body sides above the waist moulding a 42x40 in panel on the roof and two panels on the rear doors in overall. In October 1943 much larger red crosses were adopted 36x33in on the bodyside 64x60in on the roof, also centred on the wheel arch and a single panel 47x45in across both rear doors interrupted by the windows.

Across the four years 1942-1945, total production of the 3/4 ton WC-series T214 was 255.173 of these the number of ambulances was 22.857. The vehicles were supplied under the US government contracts W398-QM-11420 (850 examples), W398-QM-11422 (9945 examples), DAW398-QM-448 (16 examples), W398-QM-13596 (410 examples) and W374-ORD-2864 (11.636 examples).

Reply to
joe

"joe" wrote in news:1d8ed$43f007bb$44a6fcbe$ snipped-for-privacy@msgid.meganewsservers.com:

Joe thanks for the info, But unfortunately that is the info I already had. I am looking for info on NOT standard olive drab WC54s.

Thanks anyway

Dennis

Reply to
me-me

I've been checking with some older relatives and it seems the Air Force (after WW II) used a medium blue and the Navy used a battleship gray . . .the Marines went with the O.D. green, of course.

All branches used a sand-like tan in the South Pacific but it wasn't universally used.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

If Marines use Navy hospital corpsmen wouldn't they deploy Navy ambulances with Marine units? If so, I doubt any WWII Navy ambulances were grey.

Reply to
Nosey