interior lights

I just bought a used 2000 dakota qc, :D and when i open the passenger door the courtesy lights don t work. Is this normal for the truck ? If not where is the switch or sensor for the door located ??
:cry:
any hints ???

well my sensors did the opposite. light would not turn OFF. turns out the sensors were right below the door latch on the inside (sensing the latch opening or closing) and I was told to fire a crapload of wd40 down and all around there to clean the sensor.
-this was a 1997 ford taurus, mind you, but just trying to help.
worked.