Intermittent electrical problems

::sigh:: when it rains, it pours.

My hubby took the day off, and while driving the truck first the radio intermittently cut out (display and sound)... driving it a bit later the radio cut out again, then completely, and he noticed the turn signals also would not work.

Went home, turned truck off, called dealer, drove it over to the dealer later, and all was working fine.

Of course since it was fine upon arrival, dealer wouldn't even look at it, but said that turning it off and back on may have fixed the error (darn, rebooting the truck fixes it? Wow.) When I got home I looked for codes, but no new ones.

Any clue what this could be? My understanding is the radio and turn signals are on two separate circuits... so why would they both go out at the same time.

As it was daylight, we don't know if any other lights were affected.

The recall concerning rerouting the wiring under the clutch was just done last week...

Any help appreciated. We thought maybe it was migrating water, as a power hose was used on it last week by the dealer to clear off the radiator fluid all over the drivers' side of the engine...

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Bad ground?

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Suddenly, without warning, NapalmHeart exclaimed (08-Sep-06 11:22 PM):

Ok... where's the ground, and how can I tell it's bad (I do have a multimeter, if I can find it and remember how to use it...)

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Sounds like it could be a bad ignition switch. Next time the problem occurs wiggle the ignition switch or turn it off and then back on. If everything starts working again I would suspect bad contacts in the ignition switch.

Reply to
Mike

Suddenly, without warning, Mike exclaimed (09-Sep-06 8:19 AM):

hmmm. Possibility. Yesterday, I turned the truck completely off and immediately switched it back to just aux (so hubby could listen to the radio), and the engine came back on (it hadn't quite stopped yet). Could that be a symptom of a bad switch too, or just computer confusion caused by an indecisive driver?

jmc

Reply to
jmc

I don't know where the specific grounds are. You would have to find them. A multimeter wouldn't be much use with this. More about finding the grounds, cleaning and inspecting them for broken wires, etc. The power washer and the water could compromise a weak connection.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Suddenly, without warning, Mike exclaimed (09-Sep-06 8:19 AM):

Yup, that's *exactly* what it is. I wiggled the ignition switch, and the radio went off. Wiggled again, came back on.

Any possibility this could be a loose wire? If not, please check your email...

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Not really on the loose wire. The contacts inside the ignition switch get worn with age.

Reply to
Mike

Suddenly, without warning, Mike exclaimed (09-Sep-06 9:36 PM):

Ok. Did you see my email?

jmc

Reply to
jmc

errrr... wrong Mike, jmc.... but "I" did ;^)..... did you see your email?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Suddenly, without warning, Mike Simmons exclaimed (09-Sep-06 10:33 PM):

oops. Sorry about that. I forgot you post with your full name.

jmc

Reply to
jmc