Is English becoming a second language in America?

Page 1 of 4
I am amazed at the low quality writing skills of the average newsgroup member. People are incapable of writing complete accurate sentences. Their
grammar is poor, and their spelling is just plain horrible. Punctuation and syntax are second thoughts. Chatroomese seems to dominate, with no rules and substitute words that are harder to type than the actual correct word. They are compound ignorant; so ignorant that they don't know they're ignorant.
We get in all sorts of discussions about our labor being sent overseas, and jobs being stolen from "real Americans." I can understand why corporations outsource their technical help by just speaking with and reading the comments of these twenty something failures. Fact is, it's not an issue of jobs Americans do not want, it's an issue of jobs that many Americans just can't do.
While it is true that the United States has a great crop of young minds with intellectual potential, it is also true that a very high percentage of the young population is dumber than a Q-Tip. No wonder they are working at marginal careers and still living at home with mom and pop. They are incapable of reading and comprehending technical manuals, writing a 1500 word half way decent progress report on a project, and won't even use the most basic tools of a thesaurus, dictionary, or SpellChecker. So many do not even comprehend the difference in there/their/they're type of word usage.
And there's the issue of one ignorant fool rushing in to protect and save another. They band together tighter than a bunch of Jehovah's Witnesses when you challenge one of them on their lack of skills or intelligence. Being stupid is a temporary situation, and no shame is associated with it. Staying stupid is a choice, and shame on those who choose to do so.
If you're tired of our country being overrun by illegal aliens, and our jobs being sent overseas to people who can do them, stop accepting less than acceptable behavior. Words mean things, and when a person is incapable of at least communicating effectively, they are worthless in the job market. They come across as immature uneducated juveniles, which is exactly what they are. What company is going to invest time and money in them when they show they can't even pay attention in English class?
Steve

Steve:
Your thoughts parallel mine, I have, many times, wondered the same thing. Often, someone will come here seeking help and can't even describe their problems cogently enough for someone to decipher what they want. It is more than merely chatroomese however, it is simply extremely poor speaking/writing skills. Their English prowess speaks volumes about the quality (or lack of) of our education system also as I presume that most are at least high school grads.
Thanks for your observation and sharing your forthright thoughts with us though I fear some flames will be directed your way for this.
Mike

Mike, the education system works in most areas. Thing is, it can't be blamed for lazy students with no drive to learn. Can't open up their heads and pour it in. Students are lazy these days because they know the government will take care of them because they are stupid.
--
Tim McBride A.K.A. "Numan"

Wazzup!!!!!

Yo bro, du take dat nappy haded ho to da crib n pound me sum puddin biyatch!
--
------MoParMaN------

TEDWARD Said:

You have a valid point!
Mike

This isn't English class. It's usenet. Lots of shorthand. People tend to type quickly and send "prolly" w/o reading what they wrote before hand.

I fully agree.
It is only a snob and a net nanny who insists on proper English at all times. In conversation, we use all sorts of shortcuts, vernacular, colloquialisms, and "Know whut uh mean, Vern?" A good conversationalist can adapt their own speech to match that of their audience. It is only when someone is on an entirely different level that difficulties arise. It's no fun talking to a snob, and it's no fun talking to an idiot. At time in all conversations we have said, or someone else has said something totally silly, ass backwards, or switched around, and everyone knew exactly what they were talking about.
I am just talking about atrocious posts that leave one scratching one's head and wondering what the person is talking about. Many people here can't write that well, yet convey their message or question very well. But for the younger ones who have had the benefit of a free public education, there's no excuse. And they're the ones who usually complain the loudest and who are the most racist because "someone else" has "their job".
If one cannot write a simple post, how in the world are they going to write a JSA or IPE? (Job Safety Analysis or In Progress Evaluation) They're not, because laborers aren't called to do those tasks.
Steve
Because you are so interested in grammer, I would like to point out that "Many people here can't write that well" should read "Many people here can't write well" (sans "that") or "Many people here don't write well enough for me (Steve B.)."

Ed, it's ok for him, sammy boy and beryl nuts to use incorrect grammar, at least in their minds.

Why in the world would I want or need to write either of those type of documents? Neither have squat to do with my profession. Since you are such an expert on everything including grammar, I would love to have you read one of my papers I had to write for my degree programs to see just how much an "expert" you really are. Oh wait, now you are going to start thinking incorrectly again that I am "twenty something virgin kid" Well I will point out for you again that you will be incorrect.

Oh, God. Nitpicking, are we? If you want to pick apart something a lot more undecipherable, start with azidiot's use of the English language.
Oh, I forgot. You Rump Rangers stick together, right?
Steve

So it is ok for you to "nitpick" and blatantly attack me, some one you do not know and have never conversed with over something as petty as "lack of information" in a reply in a thread that was not even directed to you. Yet "we" are not allowed to do the same to you, I just love your double standards.

I notice your "standards" are now shifting. Now your ignorance of guns is a "lack of information"?
Were you ever in politics?
Have you ever considered a career in that field?
You would be good at it the way you change subjects, divert focus, fail to answer questions, answer questions with emotional ad hominem attacks, and just do the doublespeak sidestep dance.
Steve
wrote

My standards have not "shifted" to anything other then what the truth of the matter is, the fact that for some reason you jumped in and attacked someone for not providing YOU all the information YOU felt should have been provided. I do not have an ignorance of guns, but you think what you will assclown.
Please explain to me you ignorant troll, exactly how it is that because I did not specifically state for YOUR edification that it was a .357 SIG vice a .357 MAGNUM that I am the "child" that I am the "stupid one" that I am the one that has a problem? What is it that you repeatedly fail to understand and comprehend? You are the ONLY one that has a problem with me over this posting, as for why I am still waiting on an explaination. My not adding SIG or MAGNUM is absolutely not an issue with anyone else but you, and in absolutely no way indicates or as you like to see things preve I have a lack of knowledge in weapon ballistics. It has been pointed out that you have done the very same think concerning the .22 round, but it is acceptable for you to do, right? When and where did I piss in your cheerio's to warrant the blatant attack from you?

No but if I were, I would ensure that self rightous, pompus asses like you don't own computers or guns!

wrote

I can see my efforts are paying off! You are speaking in more complete sentences. Your run on sentences are becoming MUCH shorter. Your grammatical and spelling errors are becoming fewer. Congratulations. You see how easy it is, if one just thinks a bit.
I'll let the "vice" thing slide, as I don't want to criticize an otherwise good piece of writing from you. Keep up the good work.
I was a little disappointed at the end there, though, when you said
"> No but if I were, I would ensure that self rightous, pompus asses like you

You were doing good until then. People who are a lot better than you at taking away our rights are out there right now trying to do this very thing. Perhaps you could contact them if you think you are qualified to be on their team. They're always looking for gullible misinformed followers. Just remember that you'd have to give up your gun and computer, too.
Again, kudos on your improved writing.
Steve
On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 10:19:58 -0700, "Steve B"

your efforts are always appreciated dweeb.

Just pointing out to a metericious snob complaining about improper grammer that said snob's grammer was incorrect.
As to you're inept attempt at an insult... All my communications with azwily1 are in the public record as they have only been in the public news groups. As seems to be more [your| you're| you are| ya'lls| yar'se] modus operandi, when [your| you're| you are| ya'lls| yar'se] feelings have been hurt, you resort to baseless name calling. In case you wonder about my use of [..., ...] I suggest you read the introduction to any technical manual, then look up the definitions of the words within the square brackes (that is the [ and ] and between the vertical bar (that is |). and try to figure out what I wrote you.

Ed H. wrote:
Because we're all so interested in nitpicking...

metericious?

Grammar, with two "a"s
quote: Because you are so interested in grammer, I would like to point out that "Many people here can't write that well" should read "Many people here can't write well" (sans "that")
Sans the redundant "people" too, it's understood that _people_ do the writing. "Many here can't write well."

your

azwiley1 comma goes here ^

brackets (those are the [ and ])

bars (those are | |)... and why did you put a period outside the parentheses, before the lowercase and?
--
In girum imus nocte
et consumimur igni

Ed H. wrote:

But azpunkinpulp did, last month. Pity he couldn't foresee the SnoBall <pun intended> effect.
--
In girum imus nocte
et consumimur igni