Is English becoming a second language in America?

Page 2 of 4

Well, Ed?
Easy, Steve. Let me sleep, work in the yard, clean my cars, do laundry, and take care of all the other things non-retired people must do when time permits. Believe it or not, I don't hang around waiting for your witty posts.

It don't get any better AFTER retirement. I do all those things, too. Many days I wished I'd go back to work so I wouldn't have to work as hard as I do now.
But I usually just go take a nap until the thought passes.
Steve
In the sober light of midday I realize I made more than a few grammatical mistakes. I guess I shouldn't sit down at the computer with glass of wine after a long walk with the dogs. "You're" in place of "your" is the most embarrasing; I really do know the difference. When I see a mistake as bad as "Many people here can't write _that_ well" I assume (that pesky little verb, again) that Professor Steve B. must have his grammar mostly correct and didn't see the redundancy of "people."
Why did you not correct him in when you corrected me? After all, he's the one who wrote such a heart felt essay on the subject of the English language.
As to "metericious," I meant "meretricious;" I left out an "re" near the beginning. One day I may actually use a spell checker, but for now I choose to live on the wild side as a means to improve my spelling.
I disagree with the "comma" comment, but maybe that's because I don't know between which two words you refer because my news reader shows your correction in the middle of "public." Even between "record" and "as" I don't think a comma is appropriate because "as" is a seperator word, thus precluding the need for a comma.
The period outside the closing parentheses? I don't know, it must have just been a typographical error. Steve B. is allowed at least one per post, please extend the same favor to me.
To both Beryl and Steve B., please correct any spelling, punctuation and grammar errors. I'm willing to learn from anyone, even those as arrogant as yourselves.

Arrogant teachers DO get your attention, don't they? I have learned the most from those types.
As for you, young man, there's nothing wrong with your writing or your writing style. I do have a problem with those who write in chatroomese, who use run on sentences, and can't even operate a spell checker for the basic words. We all do have typos and momentary lapses, and just plain mistakes. It's the twelve year olds who spew curse words and can't put their thoughts down that I have trouble with.
But, because of that, they're the easiest to deal with.
Steve

Spell checking software is a crutch.
for the basic

And you like the easy meat, don't you?

Spell check is like a dictionary. They don't do a lot of good unless you know how to use them, and have a good idea of how to spell the word in the first place. But they do catch a lot of typos. It's funny at times what gets through spell check. Like those programs that were available a few years ago that were supposed to type what you spoke, they were hilarious at times.

Huh? I fail to follow your homoerotic comments. Would you care to explain? And what's this thing with ESP and your belief that you can tell what other people are thinking? If you believe that, you are a nut case, or are needed in the NSA.
Don't quit your therapist.
Steve

It is a reference to a line from a "Pink Floyd" song. I can't blame you for not catching that. However, I notice many mentions of "homoerotic" and "rest stops" in your posts. I made one comment (actually two after correcting myself by inserting a missing word) about your love of sheep. I'm not particulary proud of that comment, but in light of your post that I'm responding to now, I think it rings true.

I'm paraphrasing here, but you stated "it's easier to deal with 12 year olds that cuss a lot." If given the task of finding all your cusses and/or insulting remarks for no reason from those you were responding to over the last few days, I will do my best.

I wouldn't take the drop in pay the NSA could afford.

Why would I? She's a great lay.

"How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"
You're talking to an old Pink Floyd fan. Early stuff. Like Meddle.
Please, for my own peace of mind, where is the "easy meat" line in Pink Floyd?
Steve
I'll trade you for the information. I'll tell you album, song and year it was released if you answer the question of why you continued your attack on azwily1 in the "guns on campus" thread after it was pointed out to you that your assumption (and the resulting, inappropriate behavior, which you rightfully decry in this thread) was just that, an assumption.

I'll make you a deal. Any time I have to explain my actions to you, you can shoot me.
Steve
This is not the eloquent reply I excepted from you, Professor Steve. However, I'm pleasantly surprised you didn't call me names that I won't allow in my house. I guess maybe you too, can learn.

That doesn't make sense. "excepted"?
As to foul language, you have me confused with azwiley on that count.
Steve
"Clueless short dicked eggheads..." "homoerotic" "rump rangers"
But more than that, it's your general, smug attitude that would cause me to escort you to the door if you said those things in my house.

Typo, you have them too. It's kind of like another post in which the letters within the words were all jumbled, my eyes went right over it. Besides, I doubt you're confused, you're just using it as an excuse to act superior.

Dogs

What are you doing in here as there are no 12 year olds. Let me hear the insults again about my age due to your ignorance and lack of knowledge

I'm sorry. My comments were to ED H. Your part of this conversation is .................
class?
class?

Just like my comments in the reply where I mention .357 with out anything else were to some one else! You were not involved in the entire thread until you attacked me, in a "comment to some one else" Sorry forgot you were all about double standards and the do as I say not as I do rule!

You really need to get your meds refilled. Give it a rest.
Steve
I suggest you read the

Please, Ed! Reading what you post makes me dizzy. Rereading it would make me plain nauseous to the point of vomiting.
Steve