Is English becoming a second language in America?

Page 3 of 4

That gives me a small amount of pleasure.

Exactly! Just like Hillary. She has more accents than anyone I've ever seen in my life.
--
Tim McBride A.K.A. "Numan"

Hillary reminds me of Woody Allen in "Zelig". He's a chameleon who changes instantly to fit in with whatever situation he finds himself. And Hillary does, too.
Years ago, Pat Paulson would run for president, but only as a farce. In every town he was hosted at, he would say something like, "You know, (this town) is the most beautiful place in the United States, somewhere I'd like to move to some day." (or something close to that) And he said that word for word in every town that would throw a party or parade for him. It was his swipe at politicians being chameleons.
I would describe Hillary as a chameleon, but I like those little lizards more than to do that. Besides, chameleons don't have thighs that out of proportion.
WOW!
Steve

But, we are using a medium that doesn't allow for translation of dialect, body language, local colloquialisms, etc. Therefore your posts need to be checked for completeness and accuracy if you want your thoughts to be interpreted correctly. Typos arent an issue but wrong use of words can completely change the context of a sentence. "loose" and "lose" are by far the biggest example I have ever seen of this and do change context when transposed. Would you rather the enemy "loose" his missiles or "lose" his missiles?

Totally, true. My point is that the credibility of these twenty-something morons who don't have a clue that they are using lose/loose (and others) incorrectly is suspect. If they have such disregard for basic spelling, they generally aren't too specific about other things either. Like facts.
And then if that doesn't work, they run their potty mouths and end every other word in "tard", whatever that means.
Steve

Tard? That means yore plum wore out!
;^)
Mike

yeah, kind of like get-r-done?
here here (or is it hear hear...lol)
I agree 100%. I encounter numerous individuals that you just described on a daily basis and it's almost commonplace.
I feel our education environment is severely lacking and needs tweaking.
Laszlo Almasi
this is an interesting topic. to some degree, i have to agree with you. english skills have definately declined. writing skills included. on the other hand, i am not quite as anal about it as you are. in fact, steve, you seem to get pretty stressed about a lot of things.
anyway, there is a lot of reading that you can do on this very subject and the prevailing opinion seems to be that we are in a transition. writing skills simply will not be as valuable in the future. to some degree steve, you are judging a new world with old world rules. technology may very well do your writing for you soon. it already can do quite a bit. for instance steve, i could put this post through a software program that would add capitals, correct my puncuation, correct my spelling errors and make grammar changes. but then, what for? you would not understand what i wrote any better. it would just fit into your structured rules a little better and as a result your blood pressure would not have to rise as you read it. that however, is really your problem.
so, while to some degree you have a point, i still think that you are just a very uptight, anal dweeb who just needs to try to find some reason that he can feel that he is in some way superior to others. if it wasn't grammar, you would just find another source of irritation. you are just one of those stuffy people that ends up blowing an o-ring early in life because you don't have any idea about what is really important and what isn't.
just saying steve. thedumbguy
On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 13:47:42 -0400, "Carolina Watercraft Works"

You confuse two issues: feeling superior, and being superior.
People who disdain details and are sloppy in their writing are very likely to be sloppy about everything else in their lives.
Therefore, inferior beings.
Steve
On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 12:55:45 -0700, "Steve B"

very nice adolph.
wrote

You're welcome.
Can't come up with a logical lucid counterpoint, so you just grab at a racial slur. Thoroughly expected and understood. You are so predictable it's scary.
Simply stated, those who choose to remain uneducated, unmotivated and unimproved can best be described as inferior. It is basic human nature for one to want better for themselves and their families. Each generation wants a better life for their progeny. Each person wants something better. Especially if they are cognizant enough of their own personal situation to realize that they are living a life of settling for less. Most rich and successful people in history have not started off that way, but come through adversity, poverty, hardship, and challenges to succeed. These are the superior beings. Not the ones who sit back and accept the status quo because that's the way it's always been done, because it's easier to blame someone else than accept responsibility for one's own failures, or just that they're too lazy to make any effort. And our society has made it easier by pandering to these voting slugs by providing social welfare programs, giveaways and entitlements.
If you can't understand the concept of inferior/superior beings, you really ARE one of the stupid ones. History is full of them. It's all written down in books. You have heard of books, right?
No?
You must be able to read, although your ability to write is questionable. Read. Study. Improve yourself. Stop being inferior. It's the easy way out.
Sigh ...........
On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 15:57:01 -0700, "Steve B"

the rest of the rant edited out as my service to my fellow man for today.
dweeb steve......you are one huge moron. i bet you got picked on as a kid. that makes we wonder........with that many guns, how long will it be before we read about you in the paper?
pretending to be an intellectual after you get out of jr. high school for the day by using your momys computer is going to get you into trouble little boy.
wrote

Still can't discuss the issues and questions posed, but have to resort to ad hominem attacks, eh?
Come back when you can logically debate the issues posed.
And in the meantime, work on that spelling and grammar and punctuation.
You REALLY suck at it. But, hey, it's never too late to go back to school and graduate. Even if it is a GES diploma.
Do something about your inferiority besides flagrantly demonstrate it.
Steve
On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 16:37:24 -0700, "Steve B"

i did dweeb. the issue is you. we can discuss you. i did discuss you. once again you don't know what you are talking about.

oh, i sure will little boy.

ged? a subject i suspect that you know a great deal about.

lol. you are really reaching now. you been watching reruns of hulk hogan or what?

This explains it ALL!!! He was home schooled and his mommy made his GES diploma for him out of needle point, to go with his pin head and needle dick. :)
azwiley1 wrote:

You blurt out the dopiest comments imaginable.
--
In girum imus nocte
et consumimur igni

Yes, I did. And D and S are very close on the keyboard.
But, Hey, I made the mistake. At least I have my then/than, your,you're, their/there/they're, and two/to/too usages correct.
Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Steve
So it is "ok" for you to make mistakes, but no one else. It is ok for you to jump on some one for omitting a very small piece of information, only to turn around and do the very same thing? Double standards once again, are you related to Al Sharpton and/or Jesse Jackson?