jumped out of gear?

i drove up to a jobsite and put my '05 bighorn cummins

into park. i sat there for a second finishing some paperwork and got out to walk inside leaving the truck running so that it would be cool inside when i got done. as soon as i slammed the door shut the truck took off in reverse headed for the highway. i was finally able to run it down and get in to hit the brake. i cant quite figure out what happened and since i had sat stopped for several minutes before exiting i can only conclude that it jumped put of park somehow. anybody ever had this happen? several times ive had a little trouble getting it into gear but dismissed it as being tight because its new.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Other people have had this problem. NHTSA was tracking it for a while... see their site:

Action number PE04039

Also read about it on DTR:

?s=&threadid=50234
?s=&postid=479699 I'd take it back to the dealer, explain what happened, and have them adjust the shift linkage. If they claim ignorancce of the problem, show them the NHTSA document.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

thanks a bunch for that link tom. hopefully there is a fix.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

I would also suggest using the emergancy brake next time!

Reply to
TBone