keys for dodge trucks

HI all, we all know you can reverse the key on the trucks either side up, but can you cut one pattern on one side of key, and different pattern on other side (for our other dodge), and still have the key work?? could use
one key for both trucks this way??
cathyd wrote:

Yes, and no. The pattern is the same on both sides, so physically it will work, just like a Ford. However, some cars have an electronic "key" inside the metal key. There's a sensor in the lock that detects the correct key. Without that, the correct key pattern won't operate the ignition. Buying an extra blank key with the correct chip is a little expensive. But you could do it if one car had the chip and the other didn't.
--
.boB
1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged!

In reality, it depends on the lock cylinder. I haven't taken one apart but if it has tumblers on both sides, then the two sides must match for the key to turn. I don't know if they did it that way but it is something to think about or at least ask about.

I did it on my 92 and 90 Dodge pickups. Not a big deal and it works perfectly. I used a blank with plastic on the end and I filed a notch on one side so it was easy to determine what side was for what truck. Makes a great spare key to keep in your wallet too.
Al

Yes, that will work. Just make sure that the keys aren't SKIM keys which have an electronic transponder built into them. They will still unlock the doors, but will not start the vehicle.
Chryco Service Manager Member SAE

Got a little story to add that kinda relates. I had a 93 New Yorker that the ex wife drove, and a 97 Ram 1500 4x4. The keys where interchangable, each worked in the other.
b.clausen wrote:

Were.
(Sorry, couldn't resist...;>)
snipped-for-privacy@quixnet.net wrote:

Sure, there is a finite amount of key tooth configurations before they repeat, probably around a hundred or so; a locksmith would know the actual number.

sure where he parked...saw one identical to his and unlocked the door with his key but the ignition wouldn't work with it.