keys for dodge trucks

HI all, we all know you can reverse the key on the trucks either side up, but can you cut one pattern on one side of key, and different pattern on other side (for our other dodge), and still have the key work?? could use one key for both trucks this way??

Reply to
cathyd

Yes, and no. The pattern is the same on both sides, so physically it will work, just like a Ford. However, some cars have an electronic "key" inside the metal key. There's a sensor in the lock that detects the correct key. Without that, the correct key pattern won't operate the ignition. Buying an extra blank key with the correct chip is a little expensive. But you could do it if one car had the chip and the other didn't.

Reply to
.boB

In reality, it depends on the lock cylinder. I haven't taken one apart but if it has tumblers on both sides, then the two sides must match for the key to turn. I don't know if they did it that way but it is something to think about or at least ask about.

Reply to
TBone

I did it on my 92 and 90 Dodge pickups. Not a big deal and it works perfectly. I used a blank with plastic on the end and I filed a notch on one side so it was easy to determine what side was for what truck. Makes a great spare key to keep in your wallet too.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Yes, that will work. Just make sure that the keys aren't SKIM keys which have an electronic transponder built into them. They will still unlock the doors, but will not start the vehicle.

Chryco Service Manager Member SAE

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Got a little story to add that kinda relates. I had a 93 New Yorker that the ex wife drove, and a 97 Ram 1500 4x4. The keys where interchangable, each worked in the other.

Reply to
b.clausen

Wear.

Reply to
High Sierra

Sure, there is a finite amount of key tooth configurations before they repeat, probably around a hundred or so; a locksmith would know the actual number.

Reply to
John Kunkel

Were.

(Sorry, couldn't resist...;>)

Reply to
<ccole

I can dig it. :-)

Reply to
High Sierra

similar thing happened to a friend of mine...had a dodge caravan and wasn't sure where he parked...saw one identical to his and unlocked the door with his key but the ignition wouldn't work with it.

Reply to
Kevin Cooper