laptop mount in a ram

ive recently purchased the microsoft streets & trips with the USB plug in GPS receiver

and plan to use it in my '05 dually but need a laptop mount. i found a no-drill application specifically for the dodge ram
but before spending nearly $400 (mount, screen holder/light accessory, shipping) i want to explore all my options. i found a cheaper universal no-drill
but im unsure how universal it can really be. i dont want to drill my truck, of that im sure. any other recommendations? thanks,

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

"Nathan W. Collier" wrote: "I've recently purchased the microsoft streets & trips with the USB plug in GPS receiver

and plan to use it in my '05 dually but need a laptop mount. i found ano-drill application specifically for the dodge ram
but before spending nearly $400 (mount, screen holder/light accessory, shipping) i want to explore all my options. i found a cheaper universalno-drill
but im unsure how universal it can really be. i dont want to drill my truck, of that im sure. Any other recommendations? thanks."

Either one would work but the one made for your truck looks sturdy compared to the universal. Neither would require drilling as the legs extend under your passenger seat and held in place with existing seat bolts.

I had one in a police car once that was a no drill option and they work good.

Sarge

Reply to
Licker

GPS? Welcome to the 90's, Nate! *g*

I tried a few mounts (we use the DeLorme Street Atlas) and decided that we really didn't want one.... A couple of factors involved were that anywhere we put it, it seemed to be in line of fire for an air bag, (picture the laptop and mount getting shoved into someone's check), and that with the voice option and a $15 headset you don't really have to see the screen..

The one for $300 looks sturdy and a bit overkill for just the GPS, but if it's also going to be used in your business for service records or something, it would probably be a good investment..

I find that the times that we use the GPS, that there are at least 2 people along and it gives the one not driving something to do on trips... we just set it on the center arm rest when the screen is in use and in the back seat the rest of the time.. We use an FM modulator with it so we can hear the directions through the truck stereo.. Mac

mac davis

Nathan, I'd be very interested in hearing how that setup works. Please keep us informed if you don't mind.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

> but before spending nearly $400 (mount, screen holder/light accessory, > shipping) i want to explore all my options. i found a cheaper universal > no-drill
but im unsure how universal it can > really be. i dont want to drill my truck, of that im sure. any other > recommendations?

I have a laptop and a GPS system that I was planning to use, but was concerned about how much space it would take (my truck is smaller, a Dakota). Instead of mounting the laptop I bought a Dell Axim 51 handheld PC and the Dell GPS system to go with it. The Dell GPS system had a suction cup mount that is rock solid, mounts to the windshield, and hasn't dropped off in over 3,000 miles since I got it. The DC adapter for the GPS also charges the handheld PC at the same time. The handheld PC connects to the internet either via bluetooth or wireless, and is also a PDA and plays music, either thru headphones, bluetooth, or FM transceiver (sold separately). The whole assembly cost about $300 for the Axim (some Axim 51's as low as $239) and another $160 for the GPS kit and mount.

Palm has a PDA/GPS complete kit for $399 that has the mounting kit included. Not as flexible as the Dell Axim, but the price of the whole contraption at $399 is about what you were talking about for just a laptop holder.

Palm GPS kit:

Dell Axim and GPS:
?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=310-6926&price=161

The smaller screens won't provide as much information as the larger laptop screens, but at least it's another option that can easily be moved from car to car, and is in the price range of the mounting kit you pointed out. If you're only mounting the laptop in the truck to access GPS, these handheld PCs might do the trick, but if you're looking to do more (like emails, work, other stuff) then the small handhelds wouldn't be as user friendly as the laptop.

John

Reply to
JPH

I have a 2005 3500 CTD. We mounted our laptop by obtaining two long velcro straps (Lowes) which we wrapped around the console/arm rest lid. We then obtained four stick on circles (velcro) for the bottom of the computer. The straps are arranged to catch the circles, and it holds the laptop very solidly, and it can be oriented for either the passenger or driver/or both. It works very well with very little modification or jacking around.

Phil

> and plan to use it in my '05 dually but need a laptop mount. i found a> no-drill application specifically for the dodge ram>

but before spending nearly $400 (mount, screen holder/light accessory,> shipping) i want to explore all my options. i found a cheaper universal> no-drill
but im unsure how universal it can> really be. i dont want to drill my truck, of that im sure. any other> recommendations?

Reply to
PJ

cool. i went ahead and ordered

was hesitant since ill probably be trading the truck soon for a truck with a decent gvwr, but i can reuse the mount and just buy a base to fit the new truck, whatever i end up getting.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Nathan,

Please check the laws in your State about having a laptop in the front of the truck. My State "Massachusetts" strictly states that no device like a DVD player shall be accessible to the front passengers or driver, only allowed to be used in the back seat area.

Most stand-alone GPSR units give a warning that you should not operate "adjust" them while moving, that is why my Garmin StreetPilot 2610 comes with a infrared remote for the passenger to operate & adjust it.

Just a word of advice, that's all.

Kurt

Due to E-Mail spamming bots my reply address is incorrect.

Reply to
Kurt