leaky dakotas

folks, i have had to park both of my daks out in the weather for a while. when it rains the passenger side floorboards are filling up with water. both are the same basic body style. one is a 1991 and the other a 1993. i have removed the windshield cowl on both, cleaned out the usual debri and replaced the wetaher stripping that seals between the cowl and the windshield. i looked for anything else obviously amis but can't seem to figure out where the water is getting in the vehicles. since both trucks are doing the same thing i expect that this may be a common problem. anyone have any suggestions? michael

Reply to
nunya

I'm sure others will post but ,check the seal around the light on the back of the cab. They are notorious for leaking inside, then it runs under the seats and onto the floor.

Gary B.

Reply to
Gary

Check/replace the gasket for the 3rd brake light.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Lawrence" Newsgroups: alt.autos.dodge.trucks Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 11:09 PM Subject: Re: leaky dakotas

neither of these trucks have a third brake light. that didn't happen on light trucks until 1994.

it is definately coming in from the firewall area on the inside but i can't find where it is infiltrating from the outside. it ain't a leaky heater coil because it only happens when it rains and it doesn't smell like antifreeze. it is not condensation from the a/c.

after a heavy storm the water is a half inch deep in the passenger floorboards of each truck. drivers side is dry as a bone. door seals are perfect, windshield is new in one and factory installed in the other. almost has to be the same issue on both but i have been wrong before. michael

Reply to
nunya

google may be my friend again. a little googling then registering for the allpar discussion group got me into this thread.

may be a clogged cowl drain. i hope this is my fix. i am still open for other suggestions as i want to investigate and work on as many different possibilities while i have the thing torn apart. think i'll replace the wiper control arm retainers while i am in there since they are cheap. michael

Reply to
nunya

My '86 Toyota leaked water along the radio antenna lead. I formed a "U" bend into it before it entered the cab, and tied a short string there to catch the flow.

Reply to
Beryl

i found the stupid leak. a few years ago when i installed one of my ham radios i followed my usuall procedure of drilling a hole for the coax and then putting a rubber grommet in the hole that will cause a tight interference fit. the rubber grommet had a split and was allowing water that was running down the wire to infiltrate the truck. a big ol gob of clear silicone caulk has the issue resolved. should have remembered to check *all* the non factory holes i have drilled in the cab on my first inspection. michael

Reply to
nunya

Glad for you that you found the problem and the fix was simple and cheap!

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Same problem on both trucks?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

oh yeah, ya'll need the full story. no it was just as the allpar website fix i linked to on the 91. it sits parked most of the time and the tray that the wiper control arms sit in was full of leaves and debri. i had cleaned it out but apparently not good enough. i got down in the nooks and crannys with a air hose and got the weep holes cleaned out and now it seems not to be flooding. same exact symptom on two virtually identical trucks and completely different issues causing it. michael

Reply to
nunya

yep.. sort of like finding a roof leak in a house.. damn water follows the rafters and stuff and gives a lot of false "clues".. Glad you got the problem(s) solved..