Left blinker going twice as fast as normal

Everyone, could use some insight here.
2000 ram 1500 truck, left signal is clicking (and flashing) twice as fast as normal, right signal is normal speed. I know this
"normally" means a bad bulb, but that didn't fix my problem unfortunately. Here is the scoop.
Checked the fuses, they are ok. left front blinks, left rear does not blink. Replaced rear bulb with the same one, 3157. No change.
My truck already has a towing package installed, so nothing has changed with the wiring. I also tow a camper, and when the camper is plugged in, no more fast blink and the rear camper light works just fine.
So what else should I check, first?
I did buy a returned pack of opened bulbs from O'reilly, only because that was the last ones they had. For all I know that could be the problem, maybe they are bad bulbs. I might pull a bulb from the right side and plug into the left side to rule out the "new" bulbs I have being bad. Thanks
Suddenly, without warning, Todd exclaimed (28-Nov-06 5:22 AM):

I'd say you have bad wiring somewhere. Had this happen to me recently, with one of the front bulbs. Same symptoms, replaced the bulb, no change. From past experience, this sounds like a loose connection somewhere, or a cold solder.
jmc
yeah, i was afraid of that. how did you go about tracking it down? is there anything i can do to test for this, such as a meter?
jmc wrote:

Test 1: Remove bulbs from left front, and left rear. Switch em. See if the problem follows the bulb, or stays with the wire.
Test 2: To use meter, turn key on, switch on the left blinker. PUll the rear bulb out, and set your meter to DC volts (scale that will read 12 volts). Negative (black wire on the tester) touches the outer ring of the socket, and one of the buttons in the bottom inside of the socket should be getting 12 volts plus (red tester wire). And the 12 volts should blink on and off.
If the socket is getting power, then it's likely a bulb problem.
If the socket isn't getting power, try put the black lead to something metal like a screw. If it NOW gets power, you have a bad ground.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

I'd go with Stormin' Norman's suggestions, my experience won't be much help there. The truck had been to the UK, and they messed up the wiring there. Certain lamps have to be specific colors, so US spec cars have to be rewired to meet these specs before being MOT'd. They did a pretty crappy job of rerouting the wiring, and a worse job returning the wires to their "former" state. I've had two connections so far that have had to be repaired, in the 5 months since we left the UK.
jmc
thanks for all the responses, i will definitely try this out. i will post my results, hopefully i can try it tonight.
thanks again

I've had that problem before with "off shore" brands. If you can find a GE bulb give it a shot. I can't remember for certain, GE may also be off shore these days, c'est la vie.
That bulb has two filaments. Pull the bulb out, turn it 180 - this might fix it. Also, do you have 2 bulbs in the front? One faces front, the other faces left. If the side bulb isn't blinking, it will cause this symtom.
Todd wrote: :: Everyone, could use some insight here. :: :: 2000 ram 1500 truck, left signal is clicking (and flashing) twice as :: fast as normal, right signal is normal speed. I know this :: "normally" means a bad bulb, but that didn't fix my problem :: unfortunately. Here is the scoop. :: :: Checked the fuses, they are ok. left front blinks, left rear does :: not blink. Replaced rear bulb with the same one, 3157. No change. :: :: My truck already has a towing package installed, so nothing has :: changed with the wiring. :: I also tow a camper, and when the camper is plugged in, no more fast :: blink and the rear camper light works just fine. :: :: So what else should I check, first? :: :: I did buy a returned pack of opened bulbs from O'reilly, only because :: that was the last ones they had. For all I know that could be the :: problem, maybe they are bad bulbs. I might pull a bulb from the :: right side and plug into the left side to rule out the "new" bulbs I :: have being bad. :: Thanks
George wrote:

i do beleive there is 2 bulbs on the front, and i have verified the side one IS blinking. i have not verified the other, need to do that. i didnt think about the fact there was 2 in the front
Todd wrote:

you have a heavy duty flash pot for you tow package. when there is less of a load on it it will blink faster. sometimes they go funky and need to be changed. get a dig. one they don't burn out
mpberti wrote:

For standard-duty flashers, less load (higher load resistance) = slower; more load (lower load resistance) = faster. For variable-load (e.g. heavy-duty and electronic) flashers, the flash rate won't change much with load.
I would start checking for a wiring problem related to the rear lamp... compromised wiring, or possibly defective turn-signal switch (the rear turn signal goes thru the turn signal switch).
Bryan
"right signal is normal speed". Not the blinker module tincan.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
now thats funny. if you will buy it, i will install it
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Why do you think they are sold out? I bought it all. Selling it on Ebay.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Change the left rear blinker bulb! If that doesn't fix it, then if you have a smart stalk (blinkers,windshield wipers, windshield washers. Then it needs to be replaced for about $350.00 Ask me how I know?

Due to E-Mail spamming bots my reply address is incorrect.
ok, i will ask. how do you know? i bought a 2 pack of bulbs and tried both, neither worked. if i ever get time, which i havent yet, i am going to pull the working bulb from the right side and put it in the left side to tell me for sure if its the bulb or not, but at this point i think it is something other than the bulb.