Left blinker going twice as fast as normal

Everyone, could use some insight here.

2000 ram 1500 truck, left signal is clicking (and flashing) twice as fast as normal, right signal is normal speed. I know this "normally" means a bad bulb, but that didn't fix my problem unfortunately. Here is the scoop.

Checked the fuses, they are ok. left front blinks, left rear does not blink. Replaced rear bulb with the same one, 3157. No change.

My truck already has a towing package installed, so nothing has changed with the wiring. I also tow a camper, and when the camper is plugged in, no more fast blink and the rear camper light works just fine.

So what else should I check, first?

I did buy a returned pack of opened bulbs from O'reilly, only because that was the last ones they had. For all I know that could be the problem, maybe they are bad bulbs. I might pull a bulb from the right side and plug into the left side to rule out the "new" bulbs I have being bad. Thanks

Reply to
Todd

Suddenly, without warning, Todd exclaimed (28-Nov-06 5:22 AM):

I'd say you have bad wiring somewhere. Had this happen to me recently, with one of the front bulbs. Same symptoms, replaced the bulb, no change. From past experience, this sounds like a loose connection somewhere, or a cold solder.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

I've had that problem before with "off shore" brands. If you can find a GE bulb give it a shot. I can't remember for certain, GE may also be off shore these days, c'est la vie.

Reply to
BigIronRam

Reply to
Todd

That bulb has two filaments. Pull the bulb out, turn it 180º - this might fix it. Also, do you have 2 bulbs in the front? One faces front, the other faces left. If the side bulb isn't blinking, it will cause this symtom.

Todd wrote: :: Everyone, could use some insight here. :: :: 2000 ram 1500 truck, left signal is clicking (and flashing) twice as :: fast as normal, right signal is normal speed. I know this :: "normally" means a bad bulb, but that didn't fix my problem :: unfortunately. Here is the scoop. :: :: Checked the fuses, they are ok. left front blinks, left rear does :: not blink. Replaced rear bulb with the same one, 3157. No change. :: :: My truck already has a towing package installed, so nothing has :: changed with the wiring. :: I also tow a camper, and when the camper is plugged in, no more fast :: blink and the rear camper light works just fine. :: :: So what else should I check, first? :: :: I did buy a returned pack of opened bulbs from O'reilly, only because :: that was the last ones they had. For all I know that could be the :: problem, maybe they are bad bulbs. I might pull a bulb from the :: right side and plug into the left side to rule out the "new" bulbs I :: have being bad. :: Thanks

Reply to
George

Test 1: Remove bulbs from left front, and left rear. Switch em. See if the problem follows the bulb, or stays with the wire.

Test 2: To use meter, turn key on, switch on the left blinker. PUll the rear bulb out, and set your meter to DC volts (scale that will read 12 volts). Negative (black wire on the tester) touches the outer ring of the socket, and one of the buttons in the bottom inside of the socket should be getting 12 volts plus (red tester wire). And the 12 volts should blink on and off.

If the socket is getting power, then it's likely a bulb problem.

If the socket isn't getting power, try put the black lead to something metal like a screw. If it NOW gets power, you have a bad ground.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

you have a heavy duty flash pot for you tow package. when there is less of a load on it it will blink faster. sometimes they go funky and need to be changed. get a dig. one they don't burn out

Reply to
mpberti

For standard-duty flashers, less load (higher load resistance) = slower; more load (lower load resistance) = faster. For variable-load (e.g. heavy-duty and electronic) flashers, the flash rate won't change much with load.

I would start checking for a wiring problem related to the rear lamp... compromised wiring, or possibly defective turn-signal switch (the rear turn signal goes thru the turn signal switch).

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

"right signal is normal speed". Not the blinker module tincan.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Suddenly, without warning, Todd exclaimed (28-Nov-06 6:52 AM):

I'd go with Stormin' Norman's suggestions, my experience won't be much help there. The truck had been to the UK, and they messed up the wiring there. Certain lamps have to be specific colors, so US spec cars have to be rewired to meet these specs before being MOT'd. They did a pretty crappy job of rerouting the wiring, and a worse job returning the wires to their "former" state. I've had two connections so far that have had to be repaired, in the 5 months since we left the UK.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

thanks for all the responses, i will definitely try this out. i will post my results, hopefully i can try it tonight.

thanks again

Reply to
Todd

i do beleive there is 2 bulbs on the front, and i have verified the side one IS blinking. i have not verified the other, need to do that. i didnt think about the fact there was 2 in the front

Reply to
Todd

There's two reservoirs under the dash. Your blinker fluid probably needs to be topped off, for the left side.

Stormin Mormon

now thats funny. if you will buy it, i will install it

Storm> There's two reservoirs under the dash. Your blinker fluid probably

Reply to
Todd

Why do you think they are sold out? I bought it all. Selling it on Ebay.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

it must be your auction i am bidding on for it then. got to have some.

also, i checked my blinkers this mornin, havent been home much lately. i think there is only one blinker bulb for mine, the left and right front both only blink one bulb. so all blinkers blink, except the rear left. and the left is still a fast blink. i hope to be able to do some of this testing yall mentioned this weekend, if i ever get some free time.

Storm> Why do you think they are sold out? I bought it all. Selling it on > Ebay.

Reply to
Todd

Change the left rear blinker bulb! If that doesn't fix it, then if you have a smart stalk (blinkers,windshield wipers, windshield washers. Then it needs to be replaced for about $350.00 Ask me how I know?

Due to E-Mail spamming bots my reply address is incorrect.

Reply to
Kurt

Reply to
Todd