Leveling kit for 2001

2500 QC 4x4 gasser:

Was considering the leveling kit but would like any input and opinions about the benefits (if any) and issues.

Bear in mind I use this truck as my daily driver and for plowing when needed.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

The only "real" benefit is compensating for the weight of a plow (or similar front-end weight - ie. heavy steel bumper and winch)... the fact that the truck sits 'level' when empty is an issue of asthetics, and defeats the purpose of allowing the truck to sit level when loaded down with cargo... "levelled" trucks that are hauling a good-sized load of something usually exhibit handling problems, as the nose is now sticking in the air.

If you don't haul anything heavy often, and want to compensate for excessive droop when a plow's attached, then sure, a couple of coil spacers will do the trick for you. Make sure you use a good-quality set (Daystar makes good spacers), and not some cheap no-name knockoff that's going to fall apart in a couple of years.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Are you doing it to compensate for the plow? If so you might try putting weight behind the rear wheels. I used concrete formed so it fits behind the wheel wells(wider) and in front of the tailgate. Weighs about 950 lbs. ans doesn't shift much. Used 2X6 to shim all around.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Mostly as Tom mentioned....for asthetics...than anything else. I didn't even consider it making a difference when the plow is mounted...which would be nice.

I myself carry 500 lbs in the bed but with bags of sand wedged in between a cargo bar and the tailgate. I'm currently looking at a different method of ballast weight since I'm tired of messing with the bags when they freeze since they have gotten damp over the years.

BTW, thanks Tom for the input.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works