Liberty CRD Advice

Page 1 of 2
Chris (or anyone that would like to chime in),
My significant other bought a used Liberty last night. 2006 Liberty Limited, 4x4, CRD (2.8 I4). It has 25000 miles on it.
Since my truck is ready for the oil, diff, tranny and transfer case fluid changes, I figured I would take care of her Liberty at the same time.
I have not had a chance to peek at the manual yet, but I thought I would see if you had any advice or recommendations.
For example, the gaskets/seals on the diffs and tranny of my Dodge are the reusable kind. Is the Liberty setup the same way? How about the fuel filter? Easy to change? I'm sure it has never been changed ...
The oil in it is 10w-30, which maybe correct, but I was under the impression that 5w-40 or 15w-40 was the oil to use in ALL diesels.
TIA, Craig C.

Careful with "all" and "never." Some Diesels do not use 15W-40. The old GM 6.2 was one. Use what the manufacturer recommends.
Al
Big Al wrote:

Thanks for the advice, Al. Of course, I will read the manual before doing any fluid changes. I was really interested more in the tranny and diffs. I just thought it was odd for a diesel to have 10w-30 in it.

Was that a "real" diesel or one of GM's failed attempts at converting a gasser?
Craig C.
On Thu, 17 May 2007 09:36:12 -0500, Craig C. wrote:

as does mine..I'll give you a warning though, 5,000 and its time for a fuel filter. those aren't cheap! $50 (give or take) is what our local dealer wants for them and last i checked, aftermarket parts houses hadn't picked them up yet.
OUCH!!!!!

haven't done mine yet, but its a 545rfe trans so it should be the same gasket, transfer case should be a drain plug and I'd suspect the rear diff to use RTV like most of the other Chrysler axles i've worked on.

nor have i on diff/axle/transfer case interval recommendations i was going to go with the standard 30K interval myself.

the fuel filter is a screw on canister, has a water in fuel sensor that screws into the bottom. not easiest to get to but i've done much worse. its really cramped under that hood. you'll find your fuel filter next to the brake booster. just remember what i said about the price SHEESH!

i run rotella 15w40 in mine. buy it the same time as i do the stuff for the big truck.

congratulations on the liberty dude. its a fun little truck with a surprising amount of power. i used it to move my farm tractor one time it done better than i expected as far as getting the tractor moving. but that being i think the heaviest thing I'm going to stick behind it again is the boat.
Chris
05 CTD

Hey! I wonder if I can buy one in FL. Remember last year I was looking at them in MA and the diesel wasn't compliant? Well time will have changed big time by this time next year.
On Thu, 17 May 2007 14:23:37 -0400, Roy wrote:

I'm sure you can.
Chris
05 CTD

I know you can buy a wider selection of handguns here. I'm slling all my MA compliant guns when i get back. All but the sig 239. I like it tooo much.
Roy

Chris Thompson wrote:

Very OUCH! I just called the Jeep dealer. $36.85. WIX shows that they make it (part # 33647), but none of the auto-part stores carry it.

Parts guy said silicone on the diffs. Damn it! Those reusable gaskets are great.

Normally I would as well, but being used I'm a bit freaked out about waiting any longer.

I think I am just going to use the same oil that I use in my Cummins. Valvoline Premium Blue Synthetic 5w-40. The manual says to use 0w-40 and if unavailable, 5w-40 "is acceptable".
I don't think I've ever seen 0w-40, but then I've never looked either.

It does have a surprising amount of "staying" power on the highway. The best part though: on the way back from Ft. Worth to Dallas going down I-20, 70 mph ... we got 30.1 mpg. That's awesome.
Craig C.

0W-40 is required in the 6.1 in my Charger. I went through 1/2 quart on the way down here, bought a quart at wally world.
How big a fuel tank do they have?
Roy wrote:

According to the manual 20.5 U.S. gallons.
Craig C.
On Thu, 17 May 2007 15:15:51 -0500, Craig C. wrote:

you'll have about a 350 mile range or so without getting down into the 1/4 tank range (the usual buffer i like to leave)
Chris
05 CTD
Chris Thompson wrote:

More on the Liberty tranny.
Interestingly, according to the parts guy at the Jeep dealership, the Liberty has a "multi-speed" transmission and actually has two tranny filters. A flat filter, like I'm use to seeing, and a spin on, cylinder shaped filter. Both of which are inside the pan.
Sounded weird to me. Can anyone else confirm this extra filter and give an explanation why it is needed?
I'll take some pictures of the tranny and diffs as I change them and post them to my website.
TIA, Craig C.
On Fri, 18 May 2007 12:45:40 -0500, Craig C. wrote:

the spin on filter goes to the torque converter (iirc) and the flat filter is the transmission filter. it has the 545rfe trans.
Chris
05 CTD

If it's not too much trouble, could you give me a quick set of instructions on changing the fuel filter. It's not at all like the Cummins ...
Regards, Craig C.

First you get a BIG hammer! Next you get a BIG pry bar! <bg>
On Fri, 18 May 2007 18:35:43 -0700, Craig C. wrote:

you should just unplug the sensor on the bottom of the filter then unscrew it. i've got one on order through our local napa and should be in monday if needed ill get ya a few pics and more detailed instructions when i do mine later next week (ive got to work nightshift monday and tuesday)
Chris
05 CTD

I purchased two fuel filters for it today. One from Napa and one from the Jeep dealer. I always like to keep an extra fuel filter around. While I was at the Jeep dealer, I asked them to print out the service procedure for changing the filter. They did and I'd be glad to send it to you if you need it.
Tomorrow is going to busy. Diffs, tranny, transfer case, motor oil and fuel filter changes in both the Liberty and the Ram.
They gave me two different kinds of RTV for the Liberty. Two orange colored, I'm assuming for the diffs and one black silicone which I'm guessing is for the tranny pan.
Craig C.
On Sat, 19 May 2007 13:08:42 -0700, Craig C. wrote:

yea if ya don't mind since ya have it there. you can email me directly by removing the -obvious *grin*
Chris
05 CTD

I will get those to you ASAP. I worked on the Liberty today. I got the rear diff fluid changed. Then, I started on the fuel filter. I couldn't get the damn thing off. After following the instructions, disconnecting the electrical wires, I was ready to actually remove the filter. Too tight to do it by hand. Since it very much resembles an oil filter, I said to myself, "Self, get your filter wrench and take this little bastard off". (I really did say this ... outloud).
Well, I have the metal style filter wrench. Not enough room to get it onto the filter. I'm assuming I need a filter wrench that uses the cloth/nylon belt. Is that what you have used?
I'm worn out and right now ... and the engineer that crammed that fuel filter in that tight space can kiss my skinny, white ass.
Craig C.
On Sun, 20 May 2007 19:58:02 -0700, Craig C. wrote:

I've got a set of "Filter Plyers" from Mac tools, i use them on all spin on filters.
they really did a shoe horn job with that engine. not sure you could have fit anything bigger in there.
Chris
05 CTD