Liberty CRD Advice

Page 2 of 2
wrote:

Ah. I'll look for a set of those.
Do you know of a source for getting reuseable gaskets for the diffs and tranny? RTV sucks.
Craig C.
On Mon, 21 May 2007 09:09:10 -0700, Craig C. wrote:

uh i'll look around...Brooks may have some. i'll let ya know what i come up with.
Chris
05 CTD
Chris Thompson wrote:

I did some looking around. I could not find a source for a tranny reusable gasket or a front diff gasket (selectrak?).
I did, however, find a gasket for the Corp 8.25" rear diff from Lube Locker. (www.lubelocker.com). Of course, I already changed the rear diff. So, it doesn't do me any good, this time.
A day late and a dollar short. Story of Craig.
:-) Craig C.

Perhaps you can make a gasket.
Roy

Roy wrote:

How would a mechanically challenged person go about doing this?
:-) Craig C.

Get some gasket material that is made for the rear end fluid. Take the cover, clean it up, put the cover, holes down on the material. Trace the outer edge of the cover and the bolt holes. Pick up the cover, determine the width of the mateing surface, center a compass and draw the inner edge. Now cut it out, some use an exacto, I've used a ball peen hammer. Once you get one that fits correctly make a few for the next time. It's not all that difficult.
Roy

Roy wrote:

That is really what my question pertains to. Is the material a cork type of material? I had read that they are prone to leaking, especially when used for tranny gaskets, which is also part of my thought process.
If the material you are referring to is a paper type, where would I find such a material?

You're talking to a scientist, not a mechanic. :-)
Craig C.

Not what I have used. It is a heavy laminate paper really ridgid..

Any railroad. <G> I would think a auto parts or a truck parts.

I'm talking to a guy who bought a truck that I wanted to buy but couldn't due to MA emission laws. So I'm following this thread along.<VBG>
Roy

Get a package of instant gasket, add water, and stir.
Or do what Roy said.... either way :)

Careful what you ask/wish for as there are some in here that might do just that

True - though that has nothing to do with the fact that it's a multi-speed transmission (heck, aren't ALL transmissions multi-speed? :) What he was probably trying to say was that it had two 2nd gear ratios - one used for the 1-2 upshift, and the other used for the 3-2 downshift.... but again, nothing to do with the fact that there's two filters.

The flat filter sits on the end of the suction line of the pump. It's screen sits in the pan, and sucks fluid in. The spin-on filter filters out the fluid as it's returning to the pan from the cooler. They probably did this so they could use a wider, more free-flowing "filter" in the pickup, and a finer filter on the return. It's usually easier to push fluid through a filter medium than to pull it. Plus, this way, you keep all the metal slag (normal wear of clutch steels) out of the pan, and keep people from freaking out that their transmission is eating itself.
On Thu, 17 May 2007 14:45:22 -0500, Craig C. wrote:

yes we see 30+ on trips keeping her round 65 to 70
we reliably see 23 mpg city and my wife lets it idle a lot

Chris
05 CTD