Liberty CRD Advice

I will get those to you ASAP. I worked on the Liberty today. I got the rear diff fluid changed. Then, I started on the fuel filter. I couldn't get the damn thing off. After following the instructions, disconnecting the electrical wires, I was ready to actually remove the filter. Too tight to do it by hand. Since it very much resembles an oil filter, I said to myself, "Self, get your filter wrench and take this little bastard off". (I really did say this ... outloud).

Well, I have the metal style filter wrench. Not enough room to get it onto the filter. I'm assuming I need a filter wrench that uses the cloth/nylon belt. Is that what you have used?

I'm worn out and right now ... and the engineer that crammed that fuel filter in that tight space can kiss my skinny, white ass.

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

I've got a set of "Filter Plyers" from Mac tools, i use them on all spin on filters.

they really did a shoe horn job with that engine. not sure you could have fit anything bigger in there.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Careful what you ask/wish for as there are some in here that might do just that

Reply to
azwiley1

Ah. I'll look for a set of those.

Do you know of a source for getting reuseable gaskets for the diffs and tranny? RTV sucks.

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

uh i'll look around...Brooks may have some. i'll let ya know what i come up with.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

I did some looking around. I could not find a source for a tranny reusable gasket or a front diff gasket (selectrak?).

I did, however, find a gasket for the Corp 8.25" rear diff from Lube Locker.

Of course, I already changed the rear diff. So, it doesn't do me any good, this time.

A day late and a dollar short. Story of Craig.

:-) Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

Perhaps you can make a gasket.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

How would a mechanically challenged person go about doing this?

:-) Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

Get some gasket material that is made for the rear end fluid. Take the cover, clean it up, put the cover, holes down on the material. Trace the outer edge of the cover and the bolt holes. Pick up the cover, determine the width of the mateing surface, center a compass and draw the inner edge. Now cut it out, some use an exacto, I've used a ball peen hammer. Once you get one that fits correctly make a few for the next time. It's not all that difficult.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

That is really what my question pertains to. Is the material a cork type of material? I had read that they are prone to leaking, especially when used for tranny gaskets, which is also part of my thought process.

If the material you are referring to is a paper type, where would I find such a material?

You're talking to a scientist, not a mechanic. :-)

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

Not what I have used. It is a heavy laminate paper really ridgid..

Any railroad. I would think a auto parts or a truck parts.

I'm talking to a guy who bought a truck that I wanted to buy but couldn't due to MA emission laws. So I'm following this thread along.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Get a package of instant gasket, add water, and stir.

Or do what Roy said.... either way :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence