Lift Pump and Injector Pump

This is about the Lift Pump and Injector Pump on my '03 CTD HO. I don't have a FP gauge installed as yet and I have ~72 thousand miles so far. Power isn't what it used to be, but I can still haul a 5th wheel up the hill... just takes longer.

If the LP is shot, or going, the IP is soon to follow as far as I've read. Two questions come up.

First, if the LP is shot, how long till the IP goes out? Depends on driving habits? I drive

Reply to
FMB

Not so much with the CP3 pump, as it's capable of pulling fuel (as it does in the Duramax). However, pulling fuel directly from a tank is easier than pulling it through a non-functioning lift pump.

That shouldn't even be a consideration. Find out NOW if the LP is working or not. It's easy to do. Put a catch can underneath the clear drain tube coming off the filter canister. Open the yellow drain valve, and bump the starter (just blib the key to the start position for a fraction of a second). This will activate the lift pump, and if it's operating, you'll get a steady stream of fuel out of the drain hose. If operating properly, you'll get about a quart (or more) of fuel out, so plan your catch can accordingly.

Both are covered under the 5yr/100K engine warranty.

It does.

So long as they don't see an aftermarket fuel pump there, yes.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence