Location of Fuel Filters in Dodge Ram Van

I'm working on a 1996 Dodge Ram Van, 3500 (1-ton) series, 360 V8, automatic.
Can anyone tell me the location(s) of inline replaceable fuel filter(s)
for this vehicle?
Please reply to newsgroup, or email me at funkychateau at yahoo (not the "reply to" address).
thanks,
Martin

There is no replaceable inline fuel filter on your vehicle. Its fuel filter is in the tank and is part of the pump assembly. According to DC, it is designed to last the life of the vehicle (or at least the life of the pump).

On my '92 B250 it's on the passenger side on the frame rail just in front of the rear tire.
beekeep

It was there on the earlier models. The models after 1993-1994 have an integral filter inside the fuel tank. They are not considered as maintenance items.
Of course, they can be changed by dropping the tank, removing the pump and filter assembly, etc.
OK, I believe the consensus is that the filter is not serviceable, nor intended to need service. The fuel pump was replaced about two years ago.
Symptoms of the vehicle include stumbling and losing power after being driven for a mile or so. Sometimes the poor running occurs sooner, and sometimes it may make a trip to the store and back without incident.
In the past, I had associated similar behavior of other vehicles to clogged filters, it sounds like this is probably not the case here, as the filter must have been designed so large as to never clog?
Are there other "usual suspects" I should check? The CEL is not lit, and it does work (as indicated upon startup). Does this mean reading codes would be unproductive?
thanks,
Martin

Might you have gotten water into the fuel? Run the tank down and then refill with clean fuel, and add FI cleaner/water displacer/etc. See if that helps. (Now, I have seen people pick up literally gallons of water at stations where the tanks have flooded. If this ever happens, no amount of chemical additive will help. You have to remove the tank, clean it, and refill.)
Other possible faults include electrical, particularly ignition, fuel pump (yep, maybe again), crumbling vacuum hoses, and others.
Have you checked the catalytic converter?

How do you recommend checking the converter?
BTW, this vehicle passed emissions testing (for TX safety inspection) at the end of July. Engine didn't run rough during the test, but if the converter were shot shouldn't it have failed the tailpipe test?
Martin
I mention it only because I had problem that came on fairly quickly and sounded similar to yours. The catalytic converter had plugged pretty severely. There are probably many other things that could cause similar symptoms.

Weird, TX doesn't make me do emissions checks on my personal or company vehicle. Where do you live?
Dallas, TX. Certain commercial vehicles (such as buses) are exempt from emissions testing, and (I believe) also certain geographic locations. Also, vehicles made before certain dates (around 1968 or so) are exempt.
Martin

Makes sense. I'm out in BFT.
Twix wrote:

Certain counties in Texas will make you do it.
Bob

All Texas registered vehicles are required to receive an annual inspection. All inspections include a comprehensive safety inspection, however some vehicles are required to have an emissions test in addition to the safety inspection.
Which vehicles are required to have the emissions test?
1. Vehicles registered in a designated county. Designated counties include: Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Montgomery, Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, and El Paso counties. Beginning September 1 , 2005 Travis and Williamson counties.
2. Gasoline powered vehicles. Diesel powered vehicles are exempt from the emissions standards, but are still required to have the annual safety inspection.
3. Vehicles between 2 - 24 years old OR upon expiration of the 2 year initial inspection sticker.
El Paso motorists are subject to Two Speed Idle (TSI) testing. This type of test consists of a tailpipe test, which test the levels of HC & CO being emitted from the tailpipe.
Motorists in the Houston/Galveston, DFW area are subject to OBD and ASM testing.
If your vehicle is 1996 and newer, then the vehicle is subject to OBDII testing. Vehicles 1995 and older are subject to ASM testing. Motorists in the Travis/Williamson county areas will be subject to OBDII and TSI testing.
If your vehicle is 1996 and newer, then the vehicle is subject to OBDII testing. Vehicles 1995 and older are subject to TSI testing.
What vehicle/model/engine do you have?
In the Dakotas (circa 1999-2003), there was a problem with the fuel pump failing every 20k-50k miles. Design issue. About two years ago DC redesigned the fuel pump/filter assy because there was a lot of warranty work bieng done.
It wouldn't be a bad idea to have someone put a mechanical guage on the fuel rail and verify the rail pressure again. Dodge trucks have no CEL or fault codes associated with low fuel pressure (unless it's reeeeealy low, maybe), though their techs will tell you they do. They kept telling me that. "No fault codes!" "Check the rail pressure." "No need, computer would throw a code!" Bull Shit. 15 diferent Dodge dealers blew me off on that one point. Take it to a Jeep dealer if you want to see a dealer about it. Jeep check the rail pressure that after I asked them to, and found the problem. It had just been replaced the previous year (35k miles previous).

By the way, Martin, my Dodge Custom Van is a 1997 model with the 318 engine. It has been rather troublefree, economical considering the nice power level, and dependable.
I was looking for a trailer hitch for this van, and couldn't find any which was recommended or would fit with the 'factory step bumper'. Finally, I saw a similar van with a trailer hitch, and asked the nice lady if I could crawl up under and have a look...I got the hitch number, ordered one online, and installed it myself in about 15 minutes.
The manufacturer says the hitch application is not recommended, but I can tell you it works as it is, and can be further strengthened with the addition of a couple of fabricated brackets.
Maybe you never want a hitch, but if you do, let me know and I'll furnish the details. The responsibility for installing, using, and maintaining a hitch is yours. I take no responsibility for what anyone does in special applications of this sort.