Looking at v10's

I have had 6-7 Dodge Ram pickups, and recently decented to buy a v10 to pull a car trailer and the fifth wheel.
I have been looking at 1999+ Dodges - and recently found a 2003 with 4k on
it.
Has anyone done anything to make the exhaust sound better? The stock exhuast sounds terrible, especially on a vehicle with this much performance sound like a Pinto!
Please email me: snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Nothing helps the sound. It was explained to me that with 2 more cyl the harmonics change.
Roy

A free-flow muffler will give it a little "throatier" sound, but it's basically the same problem the V6's face... perfectly even exhaust pulses. The V8's have two sets of cylinders that fire sequentially in the same bank - 8&4 and 5&7. This produces a set of exhaust pulses with some variation in their timing, and is what produces the familiar "whump, whump, whump" exhaust sound.
The V10, like a V6, has no such variation - a cylinder fires in the left bank, then a cylinder fires in the right bank. Back and forth, left, right, left, right - throughout the entire firing order. This gives it the "loud sewing machine" sound, with no variation like the V8's have.
I've heard some trucks with dual exhaust, straight-through to a pair of SuperTrapps at the ends, that sounded very good... but still not the muscle-car-sounding exhaust. It just can't happen.
Thank you very much for the expert advise!; I understand that!
I think that straight pipes with Supers maybe the way I will go....
Did they take the cats out then? as the V10s I seen and worked on all have a dual set right in front of the muffler!
Looking for a 1998+ Ram 2500 4x2 shortbox quad cab, a/t if someone has one they want to sell! I cant imagine that milage can be must less than 14... which I get with the 5.9ls'
partsmore wrote:

I've never owned one but Tom lawrence can fill you in on that, especially if you tow a lot but you may want to put your imagine cap back on before he does.
Jerry

They were either hi-flow cats or "hollow-flows". I'd start with the stock cats in place, as you don't want to lower backpressure too much - especially with the relatively low redline of the V10.

Hmmm.... not much of an imagination then, huh?
V10's with 4.10 gears can expect 9-12MPG empty, and maybe 10-13MPG with 3.54's. Both my V10's ('95 3500 dually auto/4.10, and '99 2500 5spd/4.10) got around 10MPG when they were stock. That was empty. Towing MPG's were down around 6-7, with about a 7K trailer, staying under 65MPH the whole way.

OUCH!! no wonder they are so cheap in the auto trader now days!
Question. I have been told the V10s are not very reliable.. something about the head gasket?? I have no idea if this is true or not. Does anyone know anything about this? or is it just some "Chevy owner" fib?

Pretty much untrue... early models ('94-'95) had an issue with the intake manifold gasket - dealer issued a recall and took care of the problem. Later models did have some cylinder head porosity problems - my '99 had a head that weeped coolant into the valvetrain area. After a bit of arm-twisting, I had it replaced under warranty.
Neither problem was very wide-spread... certainly not to the extent of, say, the V8 plenum gasket problem, or the GM piston slap fiasco. :)
My '95 V10 has had very little done to it other than routine maintenance. In fact, in over 100,000 miles, I've never touched the engine except for the obvious (plugs, wires, filters, belts, and a fan clutch).
Had a '94 V10, and within eighteen (18) months it was on its fifth (5) intake manifold gasket before Dodge folks got it right. I just sold the truck about two weeks following Ivan's visit here, and the engine was as tough as it initially was. No problems with the engine.
--

PcolaPhil

To Reply Remove -SPAMNOT-