Loping

My 2006 Ram 2500 Cummins seems to lope a slight bit around sixty. It has 90k miles on it. I notice this mostly when it is in OD, and the rpms are
lower.
I need to go out and change the fuel filter, as it is due. Can that cause it? Am going to check air filter too.
What are common causes of loping?
Steve

sounds like a reasonable conclusion. If there is a fuel strainer, make sure you clean the doo doo out of that as well.

sounds like a reasonable conclusion. If there is a fuel strainer, make sure you clean the doo doo out of that as well.
reply: There's about a 1 1/4" formed nut on top of the screw on plastic cover. Just unscrew, pull the old filter out, put a new one in, making sure the O ring is in the right place, and voila.
A friend of mine who hardly knows how to empty his ash tray got caught on the freeway a while back when his 3500 dually quit. Tow truck, expensive fix, yada yada. Clogged fuel filter. I showed him how to drain his water, and how to change the filter. Guess the whole experience cost him about $300. Overpriced for a $7 filter and five minutes of work, I'd say.
Steve

How many rpm drop?
Does it occur at the same rpm in other gears?
Does it occur only when the cruise is engaged?