loss of steering fluid on a 2001 Caravan

Our 2001 Grand Caravan suddenly is very tough to turn when going slowly. I checked the fluid resevoir and it is empty.
Is is worth a try to put in more fluid, or does there have to be a leak
somewhere that would make adding fluid a waste of time. (The nearest auto parts store is 10 miles away, so if there is no chance of it helping to add fluid, I would just as soon get it into a shop as fast as possible.)
Thanks. (My wife is recovering from surgery, so my son has been driving it; so I don't really know if it came on suddenly or not.)
If you don't put fluid in there, it will ruin the pump.

1997 SFA 60920 1998,1999,2000,2001,2002,2003 AMA 602785 Due to E-Mail spamming bots my reply address is incorrect. Add a "-" between mr and wizard This is what we have to do to prevent "Spamming?" Sucks doesn't it?