Made it back!!!

Page 1 of 2
First, I have to thank Beekeep for the directions around DC, they were nuts on. Thanks Greg!! Ended up stopping in SC for a night on the way down. Stayed at my sister in
laws in Palm Coast while in FL. Found a place in Flagler Beach that we both liked a lot and signed a p&s for it. So, it looks like I'm done with locomotives by June of next year.
To keep this Dodge related, the truck was flawless. A best of 17.5 mpg. I suppose I could have done better but would have been driven over. More importantly was no, none, nada, driver fatigue. The wife had no complaints other than the coffee was horrible. Started back yesterday morning at 8AM (Monday), absolutely no traffic at all, it was amazing nobody on the road until Richmond and it was moderate. It was sooo light that I stayed on I-95 and used the beltway around DC, same in Baltimore. Arrived home at 2:15AM in this morning. Not too bad for a bit over 1,200 miles. Probably coulda done it quicker but had the dog with us so the stops were a bit longer. The cops were real heavy in Georgia but not bad elsewhere. Have to find a place to mount a cb other than the drive shaft tunnel. Have a electric cooler that goes there. Anybody have any thoughts?
Again thanks Greg.
Roy

Get rid of the cooler.. Welcome back...I think.
Denny
When I had my Dodge, as I didn't smoke, I took out the ash tray and made a custom mounting setup to put my cb there. Mind you, that was on a 97 model.

Could do a bed stake, rear bumper or ball mount. I opted with a cheap mag mount on the roof with the Chevy because I have the plastic mirrors also. Shame too because I have a real nice tunable FireStix just sitting in the closet now.

The antenna is easy; Mirrors are replaceable, so replace 'em with some nice chrome/stainless trailering mirrors and stick the antenna(s) there. Otherwise, being an old two-way radio man, I'd punch the top in a heartbeat and wouldn't think twice about it. Barring that, then a 10-meter Hustler top-loaded foldover on a ball & spring mount on the driver's side of the box, up high (not on the rail) and near the cab as possible. The Hustler will tune to 27 Mhz CB just fine and will take anything you can throw at it.

hmmm sounds like ham talk.
ive always found it hard to punch a top although i agree the roof mounts work out nicely after you've talked yourself into taking the step drill to it.
--
-Chris
05 CTD

That + FCC commercial lic as well ;=)

The "official" Motorola 3/4" shoulder bit will cut the hole in prolly 15 secs and the shoulder of the bit will grind away the paint for 1/8" all around the outside edge to make for a mighty-fine ground bond. I've seen that grounding bond make a huge difference in the SWR. Guys come in with nice neat holes cut in with a Greenlee punch and then destroy a whole antenna rod trying (unsuccessfully) to cut it for the center frequency (as evidenced by low vSWR reading). We pull off the antenna, put the Motorola shoulder bit in the hole long enough to burn off the paint and voila' suddenly the SWR reading is down where it should be. It's not so much skill as it is knowledge and having the right tool for the job. Kids today haven't a clue.

i agree, the no code tech license, although a good tool to get people into the hobbie, hasnt done much to push people to learn a whole lot about what they are doing. some will but those people would have made it anyways. i havent upgraded personally out of a pure dislike, and no real desire to learn the code. further i dont like the Gordon West style of books that seem to be the only thing you can find for the theory tests anymore.
--
-Chris
05 CTD
writes:

You were 5 Chris. :)
writes:

My last test in front of a beady-eyed, grey-suited FCC examiner was in 1966 at the US Post Office in Kansas City, MO for my 1st class commercial (aka broadcast engineer's license). Back in the day you didn't set foot inside a radio or tv control room or transmitter shack without one. I got my HAM ticket (General) in 1963 when I was a junior in high school. Upgraded to Advanced in '78 with a volunteer examiner.
I hated to see the code "requirement" removed as I always felt it was a "right of passage" and also felt anyone who wanted the license bad enough could learn 13 wpm if they wanted to. Of course that was also the era when the children's band (CB) craze exploded and the scofflaws were so completely out of control that rather than try to police them the FCC threw in the towel and eliminated any requirement for a CB license. I think Amateur Radio Operators (aka Hams) were scared the CB'ers would desecrate their hallowed ground too if the code requirement was dropped.
Alas nobody as much as gives a damn about CB or Ham radio nowadays and the ham radio hobby, dying in the 70s is all but dead today. Even my once precious FCC Commercial License, once the official credential of anyone qualified and authorized to work on transmitters has been reduced to little more than wallpaper today.
Alas, we digress..

I hate to see the Morse requirement dropped. But it will be eventually. A friend of mine has been a broadcast engineer for years. I remember the coveted "First Phone" license. Now I think it's called a "General Telephone". I'm still very active with Ham Radio. Hope you kept yer ticket. Maybe sked sometime.
73, Ed KA9EES

Want to keep the cooler up front. It fit's there and secures real well.
Roy

Roy wrote:

Can you mount the radio on the cooler?
Ken
On 7/4/06 1:10 PM, in article j2zqg.14370$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com,

cold???? Dale
Dale Yonz wrote:

He needs to put down the worthless cellphone and get to chugging before the brew warms up...
JS
Have to find a place to

I've got one of these from Geno's Garage:
http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CUP-SMOOTHIE-9802
I drilled two holes in front of the actual cup holder portion and mounted the CB there. I've got the face of the radio at the same elevation as the top of the smoothie. It's out of the way and handy for me. I have a fire stick mounting bracket for the antenna:
http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm
They have the cup smoothie for the third gen trucks, don't recall how new your truck is, maybe you won't be able to use the same bracket I did.
Robert

The problem is the cooler. I barely have room to plug it in. It fits that tight between the seat and the dash. It can't go in the back due to the set up for the dog.

The truck is a 05 QC with a cap. I'm thinking of mounting the antenna on the front of the cap, sorta between the cab and the cap. Probably have to fab a bracket but.....
Thanks for the links.
Roy

On my cheap RS CB, you can use the mic to change channels up and down... no band, vol, squelch, etc. though...
You could mount the radio under a seat or something and just hang the mic where you can get it..
I've also seen small units hung with velcro to ceilings and ceiling consoles... also door interiors, but that has it own set of problems..

Mac