Malfunction Indicator Light

2004 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 5.7L I had my malfunction indicator light (MIL) come on and stay on this afternoon. Does this tell me that I need servicing, the light did come
on right at 30,000 miles, give or take 10 miles. The truck now has 30,120 miles on it and I have no problems noted. I had my 30,000 miles or 30 months (major) maintenance done last month at 28,645. Is this light scheduled to come on at a certain mileage? 30,000? or may I be looking at some type of problem?

It's not scheduled - it means the computer detected a problem somewhere. Cycle the ignition key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON, and the odometer will display one or more diagnostic codes, in the form of Pxxxx, xxxx being a 4-digit number. Write them down and post them back here.
Tom Lawrence wrote:

Well I went out this morning before work and tried to retrieve a code. Nothing showed up. I attempted again after work, same thing, nothing. Now comes the good part, but first just a little more background that I left out yesterday, didn't think it had to do with anything. Yesterday was a real shitty day weather wise up here in Wisconsin and I had the day off, so I took the dogs out and went bunny hunting. Going down the slushy back roads I was using the wipers constantly as well as the bug juice. Well it ran low and the washer low light came on. This was about 15min after the MIL light came on. I did not connect the two. After work I stopped by the store and got some washer fluid. I put it in while I was in the parking lot. Jumped in the truck and started it and to my surprise not one but both lights went out! Whats up with that! Here I thought I was having some type of major malfunction!
You're doing the key thing wrong... 'ON' is the notch where all the dash lights come on, but the starter doesn't spin. 'OFF' is one notch back. Cycle between the two quickly - under 2 seconds for the whole sequence. At the very least, the odometer will display 'Pdone', indicating it's done displaying codes.
Your MIL did NOT come on because of low washer fluid, and it didn't go out because you filled the resevoir. Guaranteed.