Maybe time for Dodge to look for another diesel engine supplier

Page 1 of 2
This could the begining of the end for Cummins.
GB
http://www.thehindu.com/2006/06/10/stories/2006061001711800.htm

CHENNAI: Cummins, U.S., a global leader in manufacture of diesel engines, proposes to increase sourcing of supplies from India from $150 million at present to $500 million by 2010, according to Ravi Krishnappa, Director (Engine Business Global Sourcing) of the company.
India and China were the leading suppliers of engines and components to Cummins at present, while sourcing was also done from Brazil Mexico, Eastern Europe and Taiwan, Mr. Krishnappa said in a chat with presspersons on Friday on the occasion of the inauguration of the Global Auto Components Sourcing Fair being organised at the Chennai Trade Centre by the AIEMA (Ambattur Industrial Estate Manufacturers Association) Technology Centre (ATC). The fair is being held concurrently with the ACMEE 2006 seventh industrial exhibition.
He said the Indian auto components sector would have to develop capabilities in advanced fuel systems, advanced electronics and sensors and these would happen with enforcement of higher standards of emission control.
The Cummins Director said the coming into being of free trade agreements (FTAs) would make a big difference to sourcing of auto components and cross border investments across the world.
Earlier, inaugurating the fair, Mr. Krishnappa said important aspects like quality, price and delivery being equal, only those suppliers would be able to score in the market who develop the culture of "customer support", by which he meant the capability to understand what it takes to please the customer.
S. Seetharaman, Managing Director, Super Auto Forge Ltd, which has developed a strong supplier relationship with Bosch in the world market, said Indian suppliers would have a competitive advantage if they opted for components requiring a few secondary operations.
Dilip Kumbhat, Chairman, ATC, appealed to Har Sahay Meena, Additional Director of Industries and Commerce of Tamil Nadu, for support to AIEMA's initiatives, including the establishment of a certification laboratory of international standard through the Chennai Auto Ancillaries Industrial Infrastructure Upgradation Company (CAAIIUC).

This merely means they may consider having the parts they require manufactured in India instead of where they are currently manufactured is all. The design wouldn't change...just the country of origin.
Laszlo Almasi

Cheap labor is the target bubba...you think anyone cares how they live?
Laszlo Almasi

I got it the first time...just don't see how it's relevant. I'm 100% sure that if the end product is not up to Cummins' standards they won't be manufactured there.
Laszlo Almasi

Given that they already use $150m in parts fro moverseas, how bad could those parts be?
Sadly, the EPA and other enviro-lobbies are the ones that pushed foundries out of the U.S.
--
Max

Max Dodge wrote:

The USA isn't the only market for them. Pretty tough to be competitive worldwide if they didn't look for cheaper sources.

Agreed. Pretty tough to be competitive here without cheaper sources. But with all the enviro-regs on foundries, its tough to stay competitive here.
--
Max

Interesting article, looks like we still get the pollution but without the jobs.
NY Times June 11, 2006 Business section
" HANJING, China - One of China's lesser-known exports is a dangerous brew of soot, toxic chemicals and climate-changing gases from the smokestacks of coal-burning power plants.
Coal-burning factories like the Gu Dian steel plant have given Shanxi Province in China a Dickensian feel.
In early April, a dense cloud of pollutants over Northern China sailed to nearby Seoul, sweeping along dust and desert sand before wafting across the Pacific. An American satellite spotted the cloud as it crossed the West Coast.
Researchers in California, Oregon and Washington noticed specks of sulfur compounds, carbon and other byproducts of coal combustion coating the silvery surfaces of their mountaintop detectors. These microscopic particles can work their way deep into the lungs, contributing to respiratory damage, heart disease and cancer.
Filters near Lake Tahoe in the mountains of eastern California "are the darkest that we've seen" outside smoggy urban areas, said Steven S. Cliff, an atmospheric scientist at the University of California at Davis. <more> " Max Dodge wrote:

What is sad about protecting environment??? I guess you would rather industry has a blank check on pollution liabilty. There is a town in Motana, Butte< that has many areas of destoryed land and water problem because of no regulation in years past and they are still dealing with it today at tax payer expense. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com

Not a damn thing. The problem is that we must also look to balance the needs of an industrial society with those of the environment. What is sad is that the regs became so tight and expense inducing, that we've literally cut off our industry in favor of the environment. So now we have the same half assed conservation efforts, and no industry to fund them.
It could be that industry and the environment work together, but the EPA and other agencies, as well as the enviro lobbies haven't figured that out yet. This despite paying $3.00 a gallon for gas.
--
Max

Instead of judging people and a culture to decide how bad a set of connecting rods are, I prefer to check the connecting rods. Since Cummins does not have a huge quality problem, my guess is that the parts are at least usable, if not excellent quality.
--
Max

i couldnt imagine cummins wanting to let quality slip. fire departments and emergency responce units use thier engines and CAN NOT afford any risk of failure. (the latest truck bought by the local fire department was cummins powered) surely they would like to keep this business not to mention passanger truck and OTR rigs.
just my take on things
--
-Chris
05 CTD

Facts based on the quality of the parts might have been more pertinent than facts based on the living conditions of various minority college students.
--
Max

Holy crap...are you freaking blind or just stupid? Minority as in the number of college students vs the remaining population.
You are basing your prejudiced opinion based on a limited observation of the "minority" number of the overall population. IMO, that pretty much means you are stereotyping all Indians with your bigoted point of view.
Laszlo Almasi