Milage

Page 2 of 2
Michael, I replied to your reply, not the OP's. You brought up the use of the proper vehicle for the job, which I agreed with, but your comparison of gas
vehicles as opposed to diesel ones, simply is incorrect. As the owner of a Dodge Cummins and a Dodge ram with a 360 in Europe, I can personally attest to. As an additional note, the rule here in Europe is that the break even point is 20,000km a year, where that and more the diesel is cheaper. If you drive less than that the gas vehicle is more economical. Steve

LOL, I doubt that with the new Cummins and even there, after it breaks in and you baby it. Also with the price of Diesel at $4.00 and going higher along with the higher price for the diesel to begin with it will be a long, long, long time before you ever recoup that money.

Personally, I'd remove the OEM manual clutch fan and replace it with an electric temp controlled fan. Mine locked up on my 360 2500, 4x4 and upon removal, I observed an increase of 10% in fuel economy. It's still cool enough to run with no fan here and may be where you are as well so give it a try and see. Just remove your fan and run a few tanks through it and see. If it makes no difference then reinstall it and look elsewhere. Personally....I'd be willing to bet you will see 16.5-17 mpg afterwards...which adds up.
Laszlo Almasi

Buy a $600 Honda.
Otherwise, I've heard that a tonneau cover helps with mileage. I put a Flowmaster "Truck and SUV Series" muffler on a Dakota 5.9L and it seemed to make a little improvement (either in the truck or the way I drove it - no way to know for sure). Switch to on-road only tires with low rolling resistance and keep them aired up.
Phyloe wrote:

--

This is a tough call. You have to be very
carefull about what changes you make. Most

Makes sense to me! Can ya do the Hypertech and the rockers for $600?
Roy wrote:

--
Yeah, you can. And have money left over for gas.

I did the rockers on my truck; total cost was

Can you say more about the Viper rockers and the Hypertech E-Con? Did you do them separately or at the same time?
snipped-for-privacy@juno.com wrote:

I did them seperatly. I used the older Hypertech, not the new e-con version. The Hypertech made a huge differance in performance. It drove better and shifted better. It also allowed me to use a lower temp thermostat, which prevents detonation while towing on hot days. Transmission shifted better, but nothing radical. Just a slightly tighter shift, and no more searching around when driving in the mountains; definatly a better feel. Mileage went up about 2mpg. It was one of those things that the minute I did it, I sad, "Dang! Why didn't I do this sooner?"
The rocker arms I did last year. Again, not a huge improvement but certainly a noticable one. Mileage went up about 1mg or so. But there's definatly a tad more power on the Butt-O-Meter. You can really feel it while towing. For less than $100, it was well worth it.
-------- .boB 2006 FXDI hot rod 2008 Mustang Coupe 2001 Dodge Dakota QC 5.9/4x4/3.92 1966 Mustang Coupe - Daily Driver 1965 FFR Cobra - 427W EFI, Damn Fast.