Milege on Dakota 4X4

I was wondering what some of you are getting for mileage on the 4.7 V8 Dodge Dakota 4X4 standard cab.

With the gas prices now a days you try to get the best you can out of it.

I am getting about 12 city and 15 highway. Not what the tag says but i guess that's understandable. They do the test under the best conditions.

Was thinking of a I&N filter set up for better breathing and maybe a duel exhaust. Any one with any thoughts?

Reply to
Steve

Suddenly, without warning, Steve exclaimed (4/14/2005 12:54 PM):

I used to get around 14 highway and 18/19 city. Right now though, on these roads (I'm in England) I think I'm probably getting about the same as you. And gas here now costs (are you sitting down?) close to $6.50 per gallon! AARUGH! Only using the Dak for shorter journeys now; back to the ol' 1991 Toyota (which gets close to 30mpg) for long trips.

Mine's a 2001 SLT, club cab, but same engine and 4x4.

I was starting to wonder if there was something wrong, but maybe it's just the nature of the beast.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Thanks for the input. Mine is also a SLT but just reg cab. A friend gets 21 MPG in the city and he has a big motor Vette. Go figer.

Price is 2.07 a gallon here in Massachusetts USA. I will be using my Harley more this summer.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

You're quite lucky with your gas prices. Today in Southern Oregon it's at $2.57/gallon regular. HD

Reply to
HoDad

Dakota = Durango, allmost, I drive mostly city driving and i drive pretty hard and my trip computer says averare 16 mpg. Thats with the older 5.2 and it has 255000 km.

Reply to
Joe Devola

Suddenly, without warning, HoDad exclaimed (4/15/2005 4:52 AM):

Normally I'd be all sympathy, but I think my $6.50 /gal (UK) has you trumped. That said, that's a huge amount for gas in the US! Yikes!

jmc

Reply to
jmc

=========================== Why go figure....? completely different animals.. Even with the optional preformace rear axel in a Vette with an automatic..(boo hiss...shame ) I would expect it to get better milege then almost any truck...

I own 64 72 76 79 & 95 Corvettes...but drive a 2001 Dakota (3.9) 5 sp daily.... We will not talk about gas milege in the any of the carborated Vettes...But will comopare the 95 ...which now has 65,000 miles on it and the TOTAL average mpg as of last Saturday when I filled it up comes in at

24.3 ....for the entire 65,000 miles...

My little underpowered 3.9 Dakota with a 5 speed tranny now has

39,000 miles on her clock...TOTAL average mpg is 19.2 ...

Truck is completely underpowered...geared completely wrong

5th gear is useless on any grade exceeding 2 degrees . you get the idea... oh to sixty mph....equals all day...

The newer Vettes are not geared to haul anything except ASS.. they can cruise up a good grade in 6th gear at 1100 RPMs without any sign of lugging... Hell on a trip I once got 34 mpg on a level 400 mile jaunt down 81 with the crusie set at 82 mph...(and the wife bitching all the way I may add)..

Wish I had the reflexes to ride a Bike again... but since I am in my

60's I am too slow to react fast enough anymore... to avoid the idiots on the roads today...none have eyes good enough to even see a bike.

Good Luck to ya... and I wish I had the reflexes and the place to ride a bike again...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

I am 65 years old and don't let the excuse of reflexes hold you back, if you have ridden before then you can see it coming all the time. It's the dummies in back that don't know how to stop that get you every time.

Vette : Same weight and more power, just does not drag around a transfer case.

15 mpg to a 21 mpg is a big difference even if it's a 4x4. There are things you can do to get better mileage , better breathing is one like I&N filter setup. Am sure there are other things but hay, cost less to just burn the gas huh.

Oh well.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

My true (not the overhead computer) overall (60% city 40% highway) mileage is 15.62 Y.T.D 02 clubcab, 4.7, 3.52 gears, auto. I have found that after I switched to full synthetic oil in the front and rear axle, and engine an overall increase of 0.71 mpg. I drive around 15,000 miles a year and that means now I use 45.72 less gallons of gas a year (45.72 x 2.15 = $ 98.30) As for the price of synthetic, oil and filter cost $ 39.44 and I do it myself every 7,000 miles. I Sent my oil to get tested about 6 months ago according to the test I could go even longer between changes. Thinking about doing just a filter at 6,000 and oil and filter 12,000. I use Royal Purple 5W30 $5.49 a qt. and a Wix filter $6.50ea.

Reply to
Jay