more mod questions

the '01.5 project is moving along pretty good (pics coming soon!). i have the wheels/tires on, the juice with attitude, and tonight i put on the banks
monster exhaust and the exhaust brake (plummed, controls not yet installed...just put it on since i was doing the exhaust).
i can actually feel the power difference the exhaust gives in the seat of my pants. the juice with attitude increased the power certainly, but the low/mid range power with the new exhaust brings a smile to my face.
im surprised/mildly disappointed in how quiet the exhaust is. im not running a cat and the banks muffler is straight through (if i had girl arms i could literally reach all the way through it) yet it really isnt much louder than the stock exhaust. when i straight piped my '05 it was so loud that it was downright offensive, but the '01.5 is actually quite tame (volume wise). i dont want the truck to be offensive like the '05 was....the '05 would give you a literal headache when towing my camper....but i would like a little more growl. i dont see how the muffler can be so effective when its literally straight through, but it is. any suggestions/recommendations?
my EGT (measured pre-turbo since edge recommends that) typically ranged from upper 700s to upper 900s on the stock exhaust and now it ranges from the lower 700s to the upper 800s. i expected more of a decrease. are these temps normal?
on setting #5 when i accelerated relatively hard (still havent gone WOT for fear of killing my tranny...gotta get a DTT) my fuel pressure dropped to 4 psi which edge says is the bare minimum. im not comfortable running so close to the minimum, especially since ;i havent even gone WOT yet. the lift pump is new (installed two months or so ago) but im losing confidence. who has the best price on a FASS?
...i can see that this is going to get expensive.
Nathan In Montana http://ConcealedCarryForum.com
Add pictures here
βœ–

I'd yank the muffler off, and see how you like the sound then. Your turbo is still doing quite a bit to quiet the exhaust. Might want to get a bigger one of those :)

Yep... you're fine there. You could have a 12" exhaust - your restriction is still the little stock turbo. But, you don't have to start worrying until you see 1250°.

Haven't priced them out in a while - but I think it's one of those products that's pretty much the same price no matter where you look. If you get one, get the full system - not just the pump by itself - the one with the external filter and water separator. I love having a fuel filter that will filter down to 3 microns, and can go 30,000+ without changing. Plus, it's much moe convenient using the water separator on the FASS than the stock one.

Figured that out already, did'ja? :)
Add pictures here
βœ–

i started to order one from banks, but on this page http://bankspower.com/products/show/269/9 it states:
"Please note: The Quick-Turbo will not fit 2001-2002 models with the HY35 turbo (automatic transmission, 235-hp rated engine). The quick turbo will fit the 2001-2002 models with the HX35 turbo (manual transmission, 245-hp rated engine)."
ok, WTF is a "HY35"? i have the 47RE. is this another designation for my tranny, and if so what turbo CAN i use since i do have an automatic?

this is PRE turbo, right?

where did you get yours?
thanks tom,
Nathan In Montana http://ConcealedCarryForum.com
Add pictures here
βœ–

No, HX35 and HY35 are Holset model numbers for different turbos. I didn't know there was a difference based on what transmission was in the truck. Check out BD Power - http://www.dieselperformance.com

Absolutely. 1250 post-turbo means your engine is already goo.

I honestly can't remember. Disregard what I said above... looks like EBay has the best prices... $526.30 w/ free shipping.
Add pictures here
βœ–

hmm...so i can use the banks if i get different turbo internals?
Nathan In Montana http://ConcealedCarryForum.com
Add pictures here
βœ–

A popular and low buck swap for the auto guys has been getting used HX turbos from the standard trans guys who are doing upgrades from the HX. I doubt I remember correctly, but I think the HY was a 9 housing and the HX was a 10 or 12?
I also don't know if the wastegate is an issue with the swap.
I don't know why Banks limits their application to manual transmission trucks. You might want to give them a call.
Add pictures here
βœ–

If you want more noise, pull the silencer ring out of the turbo.
No gain in power but it sounds a bit betterimo.
Add pictures here
βœ–

this a big deal to do?
thanks, Nathan In Montana http://ConcealedCarryForum.com
Add pictures here
βœ–

Thinking back a few years, no, it's a piece of cake. It's right there when you take the intake hose of the turbo. IIrc a small screwdriver under one end of the snap ring and work your way around. I, for some reason don't think I used lock ring pliers. Probably 'cause it there were no holes at the ends of the ring. Anyway after the ring is out there is a dish type baffle with a hole in it that you remove. You can not miss it.
Once removed, your turbo will have a nice whistle to it.

βœ–

thanks. does this do anything at all to improve flow?
Nathan In Montana http://ConcealedCarryForum.com
Add pictures here
βœ–

Not that I'm aware of.