More on Virus and Spyware Scams.

I'm more interested in your allegation that Ad-Aware is spyware. Seems I read that somewhere else recently, and I don't believe it.

Reply to
Colibri

Spyware Assassin is not the only one. There are many more.

Go here for info if interested.

Phil Indablank

That's what I was saying earlier. These programs you are downling to get rid of certain things are actually installing there own virus/worm on your machine. They now can see what and where you go on the web.

Reply to
MoParMaN

Please explain in detail how Ad-Aware or Spybot or any of the other free Adware checkers install spyware on your system.

In other words, supply some proof of your unfounded allegation.

Reply to
High Sierra

I've heard this too. But it did not apply specifically to Ad-Aware or Spybot, it was to lesser know products that "sounded" like these products. So far our IT department hasn't had issues with these two products. Could be a urban legend, or just slander, in order to discredit these products, and convince you to switch to another product. But, one would think that if you where to run a competing product to Spybot or Ad-aware, would it not detect the others spy or ad virus. Further, if you where running a firewall (zonealarm for example), would it not detect unauthorized access to the Internet. Just my thoughts, now I gotta go outside and paint the exhuast manifolds on my truck.

High Sierra wrote:

Nirodac

I agree, they've always done that.....Who are you arguing with?

Reply to
MoParMaN

They are spyware....You installed it when you accepted their fine print.

Reply to
MoParMaN

Generally when you install a new program, specially a download, you have either given permission for the program to open a port to use or it asked you and you said yes. They are sneaky bastards.

Go out to the Home and Garden web site and look at the million dollar house they are giving away in Tyler Texas. It'll ask you to register for the free drawing...when you do, you'll get 50 emails by morning from all the world and your adware, zone alarm and everything else won't catch it.

My wife does this every night. I finally just blocked their IP address, but that's easily changed too. I can change mine in about 4 seconds.

Reply to
MoParMaN

Well duh ................ you just authorized then to use your email address. Doesn't mean they tried to install something on your computer.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

I'd like to see some proof too. If Ad-Aware installed spyware, wouldn't something like Spybot or MS's beta product report it? And, please don't tell me it's a big conspiracy, that they're all working together.

I think you're getting Spyware Assassin, and other miscreants, confused with true spyware removal products. If they did what you say,

*someone*, *somewhere* in the computer business would report it - certainly, it would have been reported on /. (slashdot) by now, yes?
Reply to
jmc

Keep your head in the sand, it's Okay!

Reply to
MoParMaN

geez. for awhile adaware had some tracking stuff in it. sort of a marketing research. pretty limitted but it pissed allot of people off. most software does it and almost all of it is harmless stuff. it wasn't abig deal, adaware is a very good program and doesn't do anything bad to your system. it is still highly recommended by the experts. you should use several spyware programs together. none of them will get all spyware or ad programs for that matter.

Reply to
thenewguy

Of course when you 'register to win' and use your email address, you just gave them the opportunity to send you stuff. SPAM, Worms and Viruses are different from each other. Ad-Aware and Zone Alarm aren't gonna touch any spam as they were not designed to (at least the free version). If you want a good free Spam Blocker, try K9 from Keirnet. Its the best, IMHO.

If you are worried about open ports, try scanning your system with something like Slow Port Scan from

(click Security in the left column).

Reply to
FMB

Good to see that you still agree with yourself. You're baffling the rest of us, though.

Reply to
Colibri

Better than having it up my ass like you have yours. You register for something on a web site and you can't figure out how they got your email address .....LOL You never did answer my question "If there is no tool to find them, how did you find them?" in the other spin of thread. Wanna take a shot down here or you still to tired.........

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

I always read the fine print, and also research before installing any software. I run Ad-Aware, Spybot, and Spyware Blaster.

Neither detects the others as spyware.

So to repeat myself. Lets have some proof.

I would accept a link to an informative source as proof.

Reply to
High Sierra

Go out to the Home and Garden web site and look at the million dollar house they are giving away in Tyler Texas. It'll ask you to register for the free drawing...when you do, you'll get 50 emails by morning from all the world and your adware, zone alarm and everything else won't catch it.

That is not what's called spyware, that's what's called being an idiot.

Reply to
High Sierra