More on Virus and Spyware Scams.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cidX1&e=1&u=/nm/20050311/tc_nm/tech_spyware_dc

--
MoParMaN---Remove Clothes To Reply!
MoParMaN wrote:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cidX1&e=1&u=/nm/20050311/tc_nm/tech_spyware_dc I'm more interested in your allegation that Ad-Aware <http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ is spyware. Seems I read that somewhere else recently, and I don't believe it.

That's what I was saying earlier. These programs you are downling to get rid of certain things are actually installing there own virus/worm on your machine. They now can see what and where you go on the web.
--
MoParMaN---Remove Clothes To Reply!
MoParMaN wrote:

Adware checkers install spyware on your system.
In other words, supply some proof of your unfounded allegation.
I've heard this too. But it did not apply specifically to Ad-Aware or Spybot, it was to lesser know products that "sounded" like these products. So far our IT department hasn't had issues with these two products. Could be a urban legend, or just slander, in order to discredit these products, and convince you to switch to another product. But, one would think that if you where to run a competing product to Spybot or Ad-aware, would it not detect the others spy or ad virus. Further, if you where running a firewall (zonealarm for example), would it not detect unauthorized access to the Internet. Just my thoughts, now I gotta go outside and paint the exhuast manifolds on my truck.
High Sierra wrote:

Generally when you install a new program, specially a download, you have either given permission for the program to open a port to use or it asked you and you said yes. They are sneaky bastards.
Go out to the Home and Garden web site and look at the million dollar house they are giving away in Tyler Texas. It'll ask you to register for the free drawing...when you do, you'll get 50 emails by morning from all the world and your adware, zone alarm and everything else won't catch it.
My wife does this every night. I finally just blocked their IP address, but that's easily changed too. I can change mine in about 4 seconds.
--
MoParMaN---Remove Clothes To Reply!
MoParMaN wrote:

Well duh ................ you just authorized then to use your email address. Doesn't mean they tried to install something on your computer.
Jerry

Keep your head in the sand, it's Okay!
--
MoParMaN---Remove Clothes To Reply!
MoParMaN wrote:

something on a web site and you can't figure out how they got your email address .....LOL You never did answer my question "If there is no tool to find them, how did you find them?" in the other spin of thread. Wanna take a shot down here or you still to tired.........
Jerry

Of course when you 'register to win' and use your email address, you just gave them the opportunity to send you stuff. SPAM, Worms and Viruses are different from each other. Ad-Aware and Zone Alarm aren't gonna touch any spam as they were not designed to (at least the free version). If you want a good free Spam Blocker, try K9 from Keirnet. Its the best, IMHO.
If you are worried about open ports, try scanning your system with something like Slow Port Scan from www.dslreports.com (click Security in the left column).
--

FMB
(only one B in FMB)
MoParMaN wrote:
>>SNIP
Go out to the Home and Garden web site and look at the million dollar house they are giving away in Tyler Texas. It'll ask you to register for the free drawing...when you do, you'll get 50 emails by morning from all the world and your adware, zone alarm and everything else won't catch it.
>>SNIP
That is not what's called spyware, that's what's called being an idiot.

They are spyware....You installed it when you accepted their fine print.
--
MoParMaN---Remove Clothes To Reply!
MoParMaN wrote:

I run Ad-Aware, Spybot, and Spyware Blaster.
Neither detects the others as spyware.
So to repeat myself. Lets have some proof.
I would accept a link to an informative source as proof.
Suddenly, without warning, High Sierra exclaimed (3/13/2005 3:48 PM):

I'd like to see some proof too. If Ad-Aware installed spyware, wouldn't something like Spybot or MS's beta product report it? And, please don't tell me it's a big conspiracy, that they're all working together.
I think you're getting Spyware Assassin, and other miscreants, confused with true spyware removal products. If they did what you say, *someone*, *somewhere* in the computer business would report it - certainly, it would have been reported on /. (slashdot) by now, yes?
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 20:48:52 +0000, jmc

geez. for awhile adaware had some tracking stuff in it. sort of a marketing research. pretty limitted but it pissed allot of people off. most software does it and almost all of it is harmless stuff. it wasn't abig deal, adaware is a very good program and doesn't do anything bad to your system. it is still highly recommended by the experts. you should use several spyware programs together. none of them will get all spyware or ad programs for that matter.

MoParMaN---Remove Clothes To Reply!
MoParMaN wrote:

Good to see that you still agree with yourself. You're baffling the rest of us, though.
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 00:06:36 GMT, "MoParMaN"

Spyware Assassin is not the only one. There are many more.
Go here for info if interested. http://spywarewarrior.com