mpg drop and loss of umph.

Page 1 of 3
My truck recently had a massive MPG drop - from almost 17MPG down to just a tad over 13mpg, and I was noticing today that it's lacking in power too - used to practically create g-forces when I accelerate, now
it's decidedly sluggish.
I'd written off the mpg change to the Opal gas we're forced to use in our vehicles here in central Australia (don't get me started -grr- but in short Opal is unsniffable. It also destroys engines built before about 1986 but is *supposed* to be safe for newer vehicles)
Anyway, someone told me it could just be that I have a fouled spark. Quite possible, haven't touched the sparks since I got the vehicle (for those who don't know me: 2001 Dakota 4x4 4.7l v8).
Is that the most likely reason? Is there anything else I should be looking at? I don't have a spark puller, so I'll likely drop it off at the mechanic's. I needed to take it in anyway, for PM before we go on our massive quasi-4x4 odyssey across the Australian Outback to the coast.
Thanks, as always, for any advice.
jmc

IIRC, when that happened to my '93 Dakota, it was the O2 Sensor. Changed it out and back to normal. I'm not sure about the '01, if it sets a code or not or how many there are. Tom or Mike will help out I'm sure. Good luck on your odyssey and take more photos.
FMB (North Mexico)

Could very well be the sensor. I also wonder about the plugs. Six year and how many miles? That coupled with a questionable gas that might require a change in heat range from what is in it.

If it is a blended fuel with a lower BTU content MPG will drop and changing plug heatrange is not going to help this unless they are loading up badly and fouling. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

That is my point. The truck is in Aussie land so we don't know what the fuel is.

Yes we do Roy, it's 'roo piss!
Suddenly, without warning, azwiley1 exclaimed (04-Apr-07 2:18 AM):

Just about. Regular fuel was ok, though higher octane than my truck is supposed to get - manual says 87, it's been getting 91-93 octane for years now (was in England before.
Now, because 'sniffing petrol' has become such a problem with the younger generation, we're forced to use Opal. It's a fact that Opal damages older vehicles. The proponents insist that it doesn't damage newer engines, but who knows? It's a very political thing.
So I'm stuck with a not very palatable choice:
1. Fuel with Opal and take the chance I'll damage my truck 2. Fuel with Premium and take the chance (per my truck manual) that I'll damage my truck 3. Leave my truck in the drive for the remainder of our tour.
Roy, what do you mean, "change in heat range"?
jmc

I have never heard of a vehicle getting damaged from a higher octane level. Not to say that it couldn't happen, but I ran 93 premium in my 97 Ram 5.2l all the time and never had a problem with it. I cuurently run (on occasion) 93, or 87 with octane boost, sometimes (once in a very rare instance) both in my Cheby and NEVER had a problem.
On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 06:44:33 +0930, jmc

I do not know the exact formulation of Opal fuel but no engine has ever been damaged by using 91 or 93 octane in it and any one that tries to tell you otherwise is purely BS-ing you. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

WOW!
azwiley1:

Almost, punkin. You gotta do it like Big Roy showed you:
"WOW!! That's all, just WOW!!"
http://groups.google.co.in/group/alt.trucks.ford/msg/4a7e97bd292b6499
--
In girum imus nocte
et consumimur igni

If the poor fuel is causing carbon to build up, a hotter plug may help burn it. A hot plug has a longer insulator. It helps to burn off deposit's and carbon that may foul a colder plug. You have to remove the plugs and see what the electrodes look like. If you find that one or two are fouled you are going to have to find out why. Hopefully that when you pull the plugs the all look about the same but it is doubtful based on what you have described. As somebody mentioned a set of wires as well as plugs should cure what ail's it. But looking at the plugs is a must imo.

Roy wrote:

Roy meant look at http://www.ingfatrygg.se/Spark_plug_diagnostics.html
--
In girum imus nocte
et consumimur igni

Well, well, my little troll is back. not a bad link. But I really meant what I posted, thanks

now roy, it would seem that you have a new friend. think of him sort of like a dog......you know, following you around every where you go........scootin his ass across the floor.....lookin like the fool that he is.
On Apr 4, 4:02 pm, snipped-for-privacy@whatever.net wrote:

Roy, weren't you warned about carring those troll cookies in your pocket!

Hell, you were looking for something to do here's a toy for ya. Already have a dog, please don't insult her.
......you know, following you around every where you

Then it has a problem. No isp set up yet in FL.
.......scootin his ass across the floor.....lookin like the fool

Maybe it is time for somebody to do a who is and find out who this troll really is
I don't really have time to play proctologist with this fool. Trying to get things in order here so I can head south for a bit.
On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 20:37:27 -0400, Roy wrote:
Trying to get

what route you gonna be taking through GA?
Chris
05 CTD

I'll be on I-95. Stopping probably at exit 3 to top off. FL gas is usually a lot higher than GA.

That's because GA doesn't waste money mowing along the sholders, building comfort stations, repairing roads,.............
beekeep