muffler bypass - pointless!

cut out my muffler and welded in a piece of pipe, and the difference is next to nothing. it really doesnt sound any louder than before i removed the muffler. the only time i can tell any difference at all is during heavy acceleration.

.....anybody ever gut the cat instead of removing it completely?

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

er, sorry! 2005 cummins dually 4x4.

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

A young gentleman at out local tech school had done that to his(maybe his dads) '05 and it is noticably louder. Didn't really ask him what else was done to it but I'm sure it's been played with. Smokes worse than an old Vega on accel.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

"Smokes worse than an old Vega"

Yeah but what's a little smoke? It's LOUD, man...more powerful, more manly!

messagenews:YsGdnfW6c7ZANm3YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@bresnan.com...

Reply to
Wolfie

Hey, before you gut it, check out the prices at your local recycler/ smelting operation....for years I'd just punch the grid out on a melted (or non-smog) vehicle, and these days the prices are amazing! The lowest price paid at the local yard (small, universal pre-obdII) was $35, I got $70 for the one I was turning in. Might be smarter to splice in a section of pipe.

Jon

Reply to
Jon

IT IS ILLEGAL TO REMOVE OR ALTER THE CAT CONVERTER It may not even run correctly

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

Thank you for the caps. The key word is MUFFLER !!!

Reply to
Roy

Regardless, it's still illegal.

Reply to
Ed H.

So are a lot of things. Your point?

Reply to
Roy

The OP removed the muffler, then asks about gutting the cat. Lynn points out it's illegal to remove or alter the catalytic converter and you point out the key word is muffler. Both cat and muffler are key words.

Reply to
Ed H.

His point is it is illegal and the power gain will be a state on mind more than reality, especailly at lower RPM's. People such as you cannot begin to understand the roll that backpressure plays in over all engine performance. A lower RPM's a little backpressure improves efficency and less hurts it but hey you are a know it all so what the heck.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

hey clueless, my understanding was that Nathan wanted it for the increased noise. look at the title, muffler bypass pointless. he states that his truck still sounded the same.

granted there are laws against removing the cats.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Backpressure.... now THAT'S funny. Hey genius, how much additional "backpressure" do you think a 4" high-flow cat (which you still refuse to admit is a cat) generates behind a 9cm² exhaust housing of the turbocharger?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Nathan, Your first asumption is that the DC engineers are clueless and you can really make a difference over their design without knowing anything about it. Amazing! Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Hell, not aborting you at birth was illegal.

WTF do you know about back pressure on a diesel?

Time to adjust that sig.

Reply to
Roy

Now 'that' was good......

Denny

Reply to
Denny

i never said _anything_ about either. youre a stool.

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

I gutted mine. I don't see a difference but then I don't have a pyro gauge so I don't know how much it lowered my temps. That's the reason I did it. I wanted a free flowing exhaust.

Reply to
Midlant

thanks for the useful information, this is what i was looking for. how does yours sound? is there any whistling noise that ive heard of? what year is your truck? thanks,

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

Hmmmm breaking a windshield and having the insuranc company pay for it is a no, no. But destroying a cat is okay? Gotta love consistancy .

Reply to
Roy