muffler bypass - pointless!

Page 1 of 2
cut out my muffler and welded in a piece of pipe, and the difference is next to nothing. it really doesnt sound any louder than before i removed the
muffler. the only time i can tell any difference at all is during heavy acceleration.
.....anybody ever gut the cat instead of removing it completely?
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

A young gentleman at out local tech school had done that to his(maybe his dads) '05 and it is noticably louder. Didn't really ask him what else was done to it but I'm sure it's been played with. Smokes worse than an old Vega on accel.
Denny

"Smokes worse than an old Vega"
Yeah but what's a little smoke? It's LOUD, man...more powerful, more manly!

message
Hey, before you gut it, check out the prices at your local recycler/ smelting operation....for years I'd just punch the grid out on a melted (or non-smog) vehicle, and these days the prices are amazing! The lowest price paid at the local yard (small, universal pre-obdII) was $35, I got $70 for the one I was turning in. Might be smarter to splice in a section of pipe.
Jon
IT IS ILLEGAL TO REMOVE OR ALTER THE CAT CONVERTER It may not even run correctly

Thank you for the caps. The key word is MUFFLER !!!
Regardless, it's still illegal.

The OP removed the muffler, then asks about gutting the cat. Lynn points out it's illegal to remove or alter the catalytic converter and you point out the key word is muffler. Both cat and muffler are key words.

His point is it is illegal and the power gain will be a state on mind more than reality, especailly at lower RPM's. People such as you cannot begin to understand the roll that backpressure plays in over all engine performance. A lower RPM's a little backpressure improves efficency and less hurts it but hey you are a know it all so what the heck. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 15:23:40 +0000, SnoMan wrote:

hey clueless, my understanding was that Nathan wanted it for the increased noise. look at the title, muffler bypass pointless. he states that his truck still sounded the same.
granted there are laws against removing the cats.

Backpressure.... now THAT'S funny. Hey genius, how much additional "backpressure" do you think a 4" high-flow cat (which you still refuse to admit is a cat) generates behind a 9cm exhaust housing of the turbocharger?

Hell, not aborting you at birth was illegal.
WTF do you know about back pressure on a diesel?
Time to adjust that sig.

Now 'that' was good...... <GBMFG>
Denny
Nathan, Your first asumption is that the DC engineers are clueless and you can really make a difference over their design without knowing anything about it. Amazing! Steve

i never said _anything_ about either. youre a stool.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com
I gutted mine. I don't see a difference but then I don't have a pyro gauge so I don't know how much it lowered my temps. That's the reason I did it. I wanted a free flowing exhaust.
John

thanks for the useful information, this is what i was looking for. how does yours sound? is there any whistling noise that ive heard of? what year is your truck? thanks,
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com
No change in sound. Mine is a 96. John