my dakota keeps stalling

i dont know what it is ive replaced the fuel pump spark plug wires, distributer cap and rotor, fuel filter and the ignition coil. does somebody know whats wrong

Reply to
peleeislander

Only a few hundred more parts to replace, one by one. If you don't want to do that, tell us more info like what year and engine. How about telling us a longer story about when it stalls like what you are doing just prior to stalling, how fast are you going or is it just idling. Is the engine warmed up or stone cold? Was anything done to the truck just prior to it starting stalling? How does it start again after stalling, right away or does it have to wait a particular period of time? Give us more clues please.

FMB

Reply to
FMB

i dont know whats wrong but either when im driving or idling my truck will randomly stall when it wants but other wise it runs great. it will start to sputter and chug and will just die and will either start back up right away or it will take anywhere between a few minutes to a couple hours. ive already replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plug wires, distributer cap, rotor, and the ignition coil. please help because it is very inconvienent when it happens

Reply to
peleeislander

In my Dak 4x4 MY93, 3.9L Auto, it was stalling everytime I was letting of the gas... Eventually (and after a very"clever" independent shop owner tried to sell me a fuel pump since it was "shot" - engine was running fine at any speed except idle) I looked under the hal effect sensor below the rotor of the distibutor assembly, to find that the pin that was securing the moving part of the sensor had "departed" and the timing of the motor would go to hell... Due to the construction of the thing, each time I would accelerate, it would again return to the proper position, to mess up the timing after I was letting go on the gas pedal... 10 mins of work and 5" of chicken wire lasted for two more years. After that, I just put on a new pin that still is in place... Stelios

Reply to
proteusdiver

In my Dak 4x4 MY93, 3.9L Auto, it was stalling everytime I was letting of the gas... Eventually (and after a very"clever" independent shop owner tried to sell me a fuel pump since it was "shot" - engine was running fine at any speed except idle) I looked under the hal effect sensor below the rotor of the distibutor assembly, to find that the pin that was securing the moving part of the sensor had "departed" and the timing of the motor would go to hell... Due to the construction of the thing, each time I would accelerate, it would again return to the proper position, to mess up the timing after I was letting go on the gas pedal... 10 mins of work and 5" of chicken wire lasted for two more years. After that, I just put on a new pin that still is in place... Stelios

Reply to
proteusdiver

i cant figure it out. the truck stalls at unwanted times. it will sometimes start to chug and stall or it will just stall right away. it will either start up right away or it can take up to a couple of hours but it will always start right back up when it wants to. sometimes if i fiddle around with a few things under the hood like switching the coil wire with another coil wire or any other wires sometimes it will start up. i have replaced all thte following parts. ignition coil, spark plug wires, coil wire, fuel pump, fuel filter, distributor cap and rotor. please give me a few different leads as to what it could be if you can cause it is getting very irritating, it has been happening for about six months now. thank you

Reply to
peleeislander

Yeah, I hate that. I wish it would only stall at wanted times. It's not that difficult to figure out though. Any time a vehicle stalls is likely to be an unwanted time because if it was a wanted time, you would have shut the ignition key off, thereby not having stalled. See how that works?

Yes, exactly. I've never seen an engine start when it doesn't want to, so your statement that it will start when it wants to is redundant.

Maybe it likes being caressed, so then it wants to start.

Random Replacement® of parts is always a good strategy. Have you tried replacing the air filter yet? How about the spark plugs? If that doesn't work, maybe just replace the whole engine. Comes a time when Random Replacement® gets more expensive than just swapping out the engine.

You mean like leads for a multimeter? Usually they come with the unit.

Your copy'n'pasting of this same "problem" on talkaboutautos.com is irritating too. Parasitic web forums are also quite irritating. Tell them to run their own forums instead of pretending usenet is their own "service".

Reply to
Talk