My truck did something weird... again

Ok. So today's big learning experience is that the 12v truck fridge pulls power even with the switches are all "off".
So, I had a very dead truck this afternoon (2001 Dak). No worries, I
have a very helpful neighbor with one of those portable jumper boxes. Gotta get me one of those!
Now, here's the weirdness. Get the truck running, but each time I take my foot off the gas, it dies straight off. Every time. Since it ran perfect yesterday, we were trying to sort out why the alternator would die suddenly and without warning. However, after we unhooked the jumper box, the truck would remain running normally. It's fine now...
Is the truck computer smart enough to know the battery's being jumped, and disable the alternator? Why?
Thanks for any eddication anyone can provide.
jmc.
It's 8pm, and just under 100f. Ick.

Many times after having a dead battery, it takes a few minutes for the PCM to relearn the proper idle parameters during which time dying is not uncommon. Nuffin' to worry about.
Mike
Suddenly, without warning, Mike Simmons exclaimed (26-Nov-06 8:52 PM):

Thanks. I figured it was something like that, just wanted to make sure.
jmc

It's common on Dodge trucks and vehicals with the old 3.0L engine for it to not idle if the battery was dead or even after it was replaced. For lack of a better way of explaining this, the pcm will loose memory of where idle should be and it needs to relearn it. Usually you just need to keep your foot on the pedal and drive around the block and it'd be ok. As for why your battery went dead I'm not even gonna guess. Either your battery is going south or you got a drain on the electrical system somewhere.
Denny

Gee, do you suppose the refrigerator mentioned would provide that drain?
beekeep

I guess I'm just stupid, I didn't even see the fridge part. DUH!!
Denny

Well.... Nah, I won't do it. It is just tooooooo easy.
<BFG>
Roy

Maybe you had taking a nap on your mind, after all, it was a westinghouse.
beekeep
My parts man, a Dodge crazy guy talked me into Type F fluid when I installed my new torque converter for the 318>360 upgrade.
Whats gonna happen??
Which Fluid SHOULD I be using.
Earl
Type F allows more friction, and thus tighter shifts, than the Dexron2 that was spec'ed in the earlier 3spd AT's. If you have a three speed (727/904) auto trans, Type F will not do any harm. However, in a 4 spd Auto trans, using 7176, ATF+3, or ATF+4, is recommended. You should follow your service manual recommendations.
Bottom line, Type F isn't going to do you much good, probably won't harm the trans, BUT, the newer formuli of ATF should be used.
--
Max