Mystery shudder/pulse

Apparently, it's not the brakes. Just had the truck in AGAIN to try to diagnose this. A week ago it was quite pronounced, but of course today it almost totally vanished. Shop can't find anything wrong at all (and
didn't charge me a thing for looking - yay!)
"It" is a pulse when braking, most noticeable with about medium pressure on the brake pedal.
Over the last couple of days, it's been very cool and wet. Before, it was dry, and usually hot.
If it's not brakes, I suppose that leaves suspension, though I can't say for sure whether the shudder exists when I'm not braking. Sometimes I think there might be something... but it's very subtle and could be road surface.
This is a 2001 Dodge Dakota SLT, 4x4. Any ideas?
jmc

Other than run until failure ...........
How long has it been since you had the alignment, the tie rod ends, ball joints, etc, looked at?
Any evidence of cupping of the tires or uneven wear?
Rotor inspection?
Driveline balance weight get knocked off?
Loose U joints?
Loose disc pads?
Hey, it's the obvious, but lots of times I think of all these exotic things that COULD be wrong, then I find the OBVIOUS problem.
Start with the basics, and the cheaps and frees, then just eliminate until you end up with the problem.
Have you considered a Chebby?
Just kiddin ...........
Let us know what it was.
Steve
Suddenly, without warning, Steve B exclaimed (10/4/2010 3:50 PM):

Recently, see below

Very, very slight feathering

Today
What's that?

Recently replaced (Feb)

Nope, part of today's check.

Wish I knew. Don't think it's the brakes, I've had three different shops look at them. Not sure what else it could be though. What would be affected by the weather, either wet/dry or hot/cold?
jmc

Haven't been on here awhile. I got a 03 Ram used, Hemi and all disc brakes. I got a pulsing. Probably you should take some mic readings, as far as I'm concerned, the dealers are pitiful, lately. So far I've called 2 dealers to look for parts to an unrelated repair, and both times I got erroneus answers. The guy that sold me the truck though, just had a brake job done, and asked the mechanic about the pulsing. The mechanic said the pulsing is coming from coming up to stops, too slow, like riding the brake in, which is somthing I've always done, because it seems safer to me, to gradually approach a stop. He said that's fine but then it deforms the rotors, so come up fast to stop, and it's been hard for me to do. Don't know if yours is all disc but something to think about and research.

What's with the stoopid,
"Suddenly, without warning, SteveB exclaimed"?
If you want advice, just ask.
If you want to play cutesie, figure it out for yourself.
If you don't know that when a driveline is balanced, a weight is put on it just like a tire, then you obviously don't know much about what you're dealing with. It is a rotating device, sometimes at high rpm's, and needs to be balanced. At times, these can fall off, get knocked off, or whatever.
Take it to the dealer and pay what they want.
And keep your "Suddenly, without warning, SteveB exclaimed".
Suddenly, without warning, I get it that I understand about driveline balancing, and I see you have no clue.
Good luck.
Steve
On 10/04/2010 09:31 PM, Steve B wrote:

She's used that phrase for years, since she first entered the group. I don't believe you've never noticed it before.

It's the same as greeting someone with, "Hello, Stupid!"
Steve
Suddenly, without warning, Steve B exclaimed (10/5/2010 11:22 AM):

Hardly. My newsgroups have been set up that way for at least 5 years, probably more, and you're the first person to complain. Sorry, deal with it or killfile me :)
jmc

When you prefer to take some stupid intro to just saying hello, the choice is simple.
Steve
On 10/05/2010 10:22 AM, Steve B wrote:

She'd never say that, she's a nice lady even if she is a little stingy with the Chocolate Chop Cookies...
The brake thing is a recurring problem for her, I hope she can get it resolved. If she was near here I'd try to fix it for her if she'd trade for getting some of these proprietary (NVIDIA and ATI in Linux) drivers configured and working properly for me. I'm really good at fouling them up.
Suddenly, without warning, BigIronRam exclaimed (10/5/2010 9:01 PM):

Heck, I'd trade you some proprietary Chocolate Chip Cookies if you could figure that stupid pulse out, and fix it! Much better at the cookies than I am at Linux drivers!
And than you for your defense :)
jmc

It is good go be able to come into a discussion group and say, "at 65, I have a shudder, vibration, wobble, and would like to hear from someone who has had the same experience.
It is not helpful to hear
Lassie heard from Timmie just before he fell down the well, or Marcus J spewed,
Or Larry W screamed just before he went unconscious:
It is nice to hear:
This is what I did.
I had the same experience, and I did:
or
from my experience, I learned this.
All this hooey that is provided by Internet answering robots seriously takes away from the advice and answers that one might have to say based on personal observation and experience by trying to state some drama queen intro.
So and so spewed. What's that, Lassie, Timmy has fallen down the well AGAIN and needs to know the answer, So and so exclaimed, and all the other bullshit that some bong smoking script writer lamely came up with doesn't make as much common sense as as direct terse answer.
Just stick to the facts about what happened to YOU in YOUR situation, and it will make a far better story.
Steve

As other's have pointed out to you Jodi has used that for a looong time. She even suggested a option for you since you found it sooo upsetting.
Now you want to moderate.
I'll play!
Why don't ya get a large cup of STFU and stop being a prick!!!

Don't worry, my friend. Those mushrooms will wear off eventually, and you'll start talking in sentences and making sense. Enjoy your "trip".
And don't worry. You'll EVENTUALLY get out of middle school. They won't keep you there forever because it is not PC any more.
Steve :-)

Remove NOPANTS To reply by direct E-Mail;
2003 Dodge 1500 QC SB Hemi, A/T, Tow Package, 3.92 gears (11 mpg Towing) 2001 Aerolite 21RDB 21ft TT (Scales 2900 dry)