Nature doesn't owe you cheap oil. Global production may have peaked.

The sooner people get over the notion that they can protest finite resources, the better.
The Earth is a limited sphere with a superficial crust relative to its
total size. On average the crust is 20 miles thick vs. the planet's 7,900 mile diameter. Under the oceans, where the most desperate oil drilling occurs, the crust is as thin as 3 miles. Oil and other fossil fuels exist only within that crust, and were depleted past the halfway "peak" in America around 1970. Once peak production is passed, extraction costs rise. There is no getting around it. The issue is WHEN, not if, a peak will occur.
The current high price of oil is likely signaling a peak in global supplies, which means life is going to get more difficult and no amount of whining will create easy oil out of nothing. Most of the oil we use was formed in two periods 90 and 150 million years ago, and the existence of "abiotic" oil has never been proved. Cheap oil created the illusion of resource plenitude by making people misunderstand the difference between capital and income (finite vs. renewable energy). The huge scale of modern life was mostly built on finite oil, with no assurance that other sources can replace it.
After the global peak, nature will set the price of oil, and it's probably happening now. That price includes tar sands (bitumen) and oil shale, which require much higher energy inputs to extract usable liquid. In the case of shale, they still haven't found a way to break even, and most of it won't yield pure gasoline, just diesel, kerosene, etc.. Tearing up vast areas of Utah, Colorado and Wyoming is not a sane solution. The economy is sick if it must be a constant land- parasite.
Thanks to mindless population growth of 75 million annually (worldwide), oil consumption will keep increasing unless radical conservation measures are taken. World oil consumption is about 87 million barrels per day (an 11,200 acre-foot lake) and will easily top 100 million barrels/day as we blindly attempt to support 9 or 10 billion people by mid-century. Replacement-level birth control is the best technological solution to resource shortages, but people get offended at that notion. They can't think beyond their own wants.
Keep all of this in mind as you invent conspiracy theories and whine about your "right" to cheap, easy fuel for ego-trucks and powerboats while your truck/SUV hauls air most of the year, or carries passengers who could live with something smaller or not hoard so much junk in the first place. People themselves are getting fatter in an ironic symbiosis with economic growthism. Conservation is still a joke among most Americans. They only do it when prices force them to.
The ignorant, tattooed masses, listening to Rush Limbaugh while trying to one-up their neighbors' horsepower, are blind to what's really going on with oil. They are obsessed with money this, money that, but they should be studying geology and biology. Many take pride in NOT knowing the fundamentals of life beyond their immediate needs. "Stop with that intelekshual stuff and pass me a beer!"
Nature doesn't owe anyone a living, and there is no birthright to V-8 engines and easy wages in the transport industry. No amount of sneering at environmental laws will change that fact. More drilling in Alaska won't make us "independent" from anything. It's all in the math. The U.S. uses 21 million barrels of oil a day, which is a billion barrels in under 50 days. That would deplete a best-case ANWR scenario of 10 billion barrels in under 500 days, and U.S. consumption keeps rising as the population grows by 3 million annually.
Some energy alternatives look good on paper but still can't touch the massive scale of oil. Old fashioned conservatism and thrift is the immediate answer to our energy problems, not a greed-based agenda that assumes endless abundance. The old frontiers have already yielded most of their bounty. Destroying more of nature is not the solution to problems caused by gluttony and ignorance of limits.
E.A.
http://enough_already.tripod.com /
Earth to human race: Drop some of your needs!
What year is your Dodge? Steve

I make it about a 1969. He must really feel bad about using all that gas.

So well said you are already getting replies from the people you spoke of!
john

I would like to add that drilling for oil in the US is a fool's errand. Until we learn to conserve, the oil is best left in the ground for future generations. It will increase in value far faster than the stock market.
Buy arab oil with depreciating paper dollars.
Bob

Oddly enough, that's exactly why Intelligence agencies said, "use theirs first" all the way back under Eisenhower. If, as the Russians think, it renews itself over time and isn't ever going to run out, fine. If it's finite, then we'll be among the last to have reserves. I wouldn't put it past the House of Saud to manipulate the market to make the price crash to well below what anyone thinks is possible and then hold it there long enough instill fear in even the biggest speculators. They build OPEC to control the price of oil and have no intention of letting speculators take that control out of their hands.
have a nice day
Rashputin wrote:

We should at the very least know what we have by allowing exploration.

Trust me....we know...
smarter people here than I thought!
john
On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 01:38:19 -0700 (PDT), Enough Already

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLd_xUUR4Bg&eurl=http://www.americansolutions.com/actioncenter/petitions/?GuidTec6e43-75a8-445b-aa7b-346a1e096659

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 01:38:19 -0700 (PDT), Enough Already

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPch2k63uj4

Your entire argument is based on one flawed assumption. That hydrocarbons are from fossils and are finite.
Space exploration has proven that hydrocarbons exist in huge amounts on far away worlds. Methane oceans cover Saturn's Moon Titian. Methane can be changed into more complex forms of hydrocarbons with heat and pressure. Resources abundant within the interior of the earth. Vast untapped petroleum fields exist under the Gulf of Mexico and in the Arctic as well as off the coast of California. Old thought to be tapped out wells are finding new life as they are brought back into production. The only peak oil problem we will have will be for a lack of drilling because of the likes of you.
We have been drilling oil for over 100 years now and known sources of hydrocarbons are projected to last 200 years more. Its hardly the emergency the communists hope to make the gullible believe in. Past chicken littles have declared peak oil several times in the past. I am old enough to remember we were supposed to be out of oil by the early 80s. Their is more known oil under ground now than has been pumped in the last 100 years. Must have been a lot of primordial soup lakes do doubt to have supplied the multi trillions of barrels mined and yet to be mined.
The high prices we see today are the result of all the useful idiots blocking every attempt at increasing domestic production creating false scarcity.
The protests you are bemoaning are caused because people are realizing that this false scarcity is a sham and they want this game to be over.
Enough Already wrote:

Enough Already wrote:
<..... Standard Communist harangue against enjoyment of the fruits of one's own labor. A call for cult-like self-denial and a return to a primitive lifestyle. A demand for severe government actions against immoral consumers to bring about the proper distribution of natural resources to the financially deprived masses ......>
The only part of his planned solution he hasn't disclosed yet is the forced re-education camps for those who disagree.
Pol Pot would have been proud.
Rodan.
These ignorant folks think scientific discovery can be legislated. Until new energy resources become available, our very safety, security and economic well being depends on oil. Until that occurs, not securing our source of energy supply is exceedingly foolish and shortsighted. Of course we need to develope new oil fields. Now tapping into those resources before an emergency is another question, but if we do have a national emergency there will be no time to do it then. Steve

Many of the ignorant want us to be in a position where there's no time to do anything. They want the destruction of the current Western culture. What they fail to recognize is that they will be some of the first executed by their new masters.
Ken