Navigation system

Page 1 of 3
Been thinking about one that can be moved from car to truck easily. Anybody have any thoughts or opinions based on actual experience? tia
Roy

think I can even find the thread if I have to...<VBG> Other than that, I've only play with the oem so I can't help you there.
Denny
Personally, I prefer the low buck, low tech navigation system established before the time of the Romans.
A map.
--
Budd Cochran

Roy,
I use a Garmin c330 and it works well, suction cup mount to the windshield and plugs into the cigarette lighter. that's it. touch screen interface is user friendly and is very accurate. I've only found 1 maybe 2 places it was wrong about (new neighborhoods, said turn left when there was no left yet) I have been very pleased.
my father in law also uses a TomTom GO 300 similar touch screen interface, similar audio and visual directions, the GO300 seems to me to be a little less accurate, its directed me wrong in his truck more than a time or two, but it does show know gas stations along your route when you have to tell the Garmin to find you one (who really needs this feature anyways, we all have working eyes right? or we wouldn't be driving!)
both are good units, if you want Canadian maps already loaded in the maps with the TomTom I think you need the more expensive 700, if I recall correctly the c330 already has at least parts of Canada loaded but could be wrong because that wasn't a high priority feature for me, because of the part of the country I live in.
hope that answers your question
--
----------------------------
-Chris

Chris, thanks for the info.
Roy

Tom Tom 910 I just bought one this summer. Good display. Easy to use. Marina

Roy
Roy wrote:

More costly but I opted for the Mopar REC Nav stereo. I don't care too much for portable units, suction cups, cigarette adapter cables etc. I prefer the indash factory look. The REC unit works great.
The only problem is it locks out many functions while vehicle is in motion. It would be nice if the passenger could be busy looking up routes etc. Many aftermarket Nav units behave the same way.

I'm not a big fan of a bunch of wires either but where 2 vehicles are going to be used portability is a must.

It would be nice if the passenger would stay awake!<G>

Something to look for.
Thanks Miles

I think you ought to get heated seats and rewire it such that when she begins to fall asleep, you press a button and she gets jolted awake. You continue to look ahead as if nothing strange is going on. Just make sure you don't get your wires crossed.
FMB (N Mexico)

Heated Seats????? They are for girly men! Oh, and Mike. <BFG>
<>and rewire it such that when she

You will get me smacked!<G>
Roy

<snip>

Mac

Hey!!!<G>
Roy

Has to be some kind of law against letting an opening line like that slip by, bro.. *lol*
Mac

I suppose if you didn't, the friggin' rabbit would have used it.<G>
Roy

Are "maps" sounding better yet????
VBG
--
Budd Cochran

you can turn those safety features off in the c330 I don't know about the others.
--
-Chris
Chris Thompson wrote:

There is no way to disable the in-motion lockout on the REC unit without internal modifications or a firmware hack. I have seen kits available for many aftermarket GPS car systems.
Just about all your aftermarket Nav (non portable) based units are going to the extreme (as I see it) with tying a lot of your functionality to the GPS system (if equipped with one). On some units, you can still disable the shut down feature if you know how too, but it is going to void the warranty.

azwiley1 wrote:

Wish I could disable the in-motion lock out on the REC Nav unit. Only way I see it is with a firmware hack and so far nobody has done it.