Navigation system

Page 2 of 3
Unfortunately miles, you are correct. Just about every "factory" installed unit is like that. That is the biggest reason I will never have a "factory"
unit, I would rather void my warranty.

I was playing with the gps in my brothers lexus suv when he put it in reverse and it became a monitor for the back up camera.. kind of freaky, if you're not expecting it... Mac
miles wrote:

I agree with miles, the factory nav unit is much preferred to a bunch of wires and mounting brackets. However, one warning: (I could be an isolated case), one year after I bought my truck, the factory nav unit became very unreliable. 20% of the time it wouldn't read the disc ... and slowly it progressed to 100% of the time.
The dealer swore up and down that it was the disc itself. However, he could not explain why it worked fine in other vehicles with the same unit. They finally decided to replace the unit under warranty.
It has been perfect ever since ... with the original disc.
Craig C.

programs that I like are the Delorme atlas and Micro$oft street & trips..
Both are under $150 with software and a receiver you lay on the dash and we use them all the time..
When you're alone, you can use a headset or mic and speakers to have it guide you, but what we like about it is that it gives the passenger something to do..
Really handy to not only have GPS and maps and be able to search for gas/food/truck stops, etc. but to have the laptop for internet and stuff... even solitaire, if ya get really bored.. *lol*
I have the software installed on all of our computers because it's just a fast and easy map program and prints well.. I like it a lot better than any online maps that I've tried..
The other advantage, not that a youngster like you needs it, is that instead of trying to read a 4" screen on a portable, the laptop screen is like 12" and in color.. Mac

I suppose I could grab Sue's lap top and buy her a new one. That would be a easier sell.

That would be good.

We all know size really does matter, just ask fur face.<BFG>
Thanks bro, that was a big help.
Roy

Well, you'd only need the laptop when ya travel.. it's not like you're mounting it in the truck or anything.. but like tools, there are no bad reasons to buy a newer, faster laptop.. *g*

Da nada.. that's what we're here for... I think.. Mac
Roy,
As some one that has sold and used a variety of these systems, I can say with confidence that you can not go wrong with the Garmin, Tom Tom or the I-way units. Biggest thing that I would recommend is that you look at all the features they have and get what you need, not buy one because some Joe Blow says it's the best.
Or, as mac does, there is nothing wrong with the laptop idea.
Larry

You don't read a nav system as much as listen to it. I have a factory nav system in my truck, and although I look at it from time to time, mostly I just listen to the audio queues ("In 1/2 mile, take the exit for two eighty-seven south"). Given that, plus the fact that most of them change from the moving map display to large, iconic visual queues (such as a 90 left arrow, a 45 right arrow, etc.), screen size really isn't that important.

How loud are the queues? Must have a volume control? Sorta hard of hearing and with the noise of the truck.....
Roy
.

i have no problems hearing it and yes it has a volume control. and my hearing isnt the best, as you know i work high speed production, lots of noise.
--
----------------------------
-Chris

Tom Tom.

Roy, here is a link to both a Tom Tom and an Iway, for your easy of reference. Again, both are danm good units. you will not, under any question go wrong with either.
http://www.audio-warehouse.com/web/mdl/IWAY350C/detail.asp
http://www.audio-warehouse.com/web/mdl/GO300/detail.asp

Thanks Larry, I was looking at the Tom Tom 510 on their home page. These links will keep me busy.
Roy
<snip>

We used it on a trip from Fresno to Fort Lewis, WA & back in a rented Grand Am... little car, 2 large people.... It spend most of the time in what they call a back seat... the shelf in my 61 Vette was bigger..*g*
In the Ram, we usually set it on the armrest between us..
I find that unless you are changing a route or searching for food or something, the laptop can be anywhere in the car that you can hear the voice prompts from..
BTW.. the Ram is kinda loud inside so we got a cheap FM modulator that plugs into the cig lighter and you plug in the laptop or cd player into it and hear it through the truck speakers.. Mac
Roy wrote:

websites, monitor appointments, check email, and play music (MP3 files). After I got it, I decided to add a GPS navigation kit from Dell (cost another $160 and included the navigation software, suction cup holder, GPS receiver, 12V charger and all connections). I found that the navigation system works pretty good, although since the Dell works on Microsoft software, it occassionally locks up and I have to reboot it. You can set the destination using your address book, saved favorites, address searches, recent destinations, and points of interest. You set the types of roads you want to use (fastest, toll, interstate, local) and what type of display you want. It has adjustable volume, but you can also run it through your car speakers (I play the music from the Dell on my speakers and the directions override the music when it's time to turn). The only thing I don't like is that I got the lower cost version of the Dell X51, and the screen isn't as bright in daylight as the more expensive X51V, but it's certainly usable. If you want a device that can provide multiple uses, consider one of the handheld PCs with a GPS NAV system added. Looks like Dell is having a sale on the X51 right now, and with the GPS system added the cost is $478.
John

Thanks for the info. If I were to go that route I'd probably go for the lap top.
Roy

ACK!!!! Dell....I will never ever own another Dell product as long as I live.
Laszlo Almasi