Navigation system

Page 3 of 3

I think they are like cars or trucks. You go with what works for you. I've had this Dell for about over 5 years and not a problem.
Roy

on a few Gateways in the mid-90's.. actually used standard drives and stuff so you could put generic parts in 'em.. I've had 3 Gateways since and was happy with them.. Nan bought a couple of hi-tech, whoopie-do systems from Dell a few months ago in preparation for the move, and they seem very well made, if you don't count the POS Micro$oft Media Center operating system.. *g*
BTW... We use Verizon, but you can probably do this with other phone companies... We paid about $30 for a CD and cable from Verizon to connect the laptop to our cell... no other charges except minutes used and we have tons of them.. To keep the passenger from getting to bored, they can check email, browse the web, download construction updates and road changes to the GPS, etc... Mac

Mac:
I too use a Verizon cell phone with the mobile office kit hooked to my Gateway laptop... works great! As far as a GPS system, I have MS Streets and Trips and it works well too. I puit the laptop on the center console and the GPS puck on the I/P and it picks up the sats thru the windshield just fine. I like it for locating campgrounds in strage areas. Almost as good as heated leather seats IMHO
Mike

Can you continually update streets and trips? If so how often do you?

Ya had to go there didn't ya?<VBG>
Roy

No, it cannot be updated... but... when you plan a trip, it will ask if you want to download new road construction/detour info. The only upgrade is the next years edition which is about $25.00.

Yup.... figgered I'd get my licks in before it gets cool and the wabbit starts harrassing me..
;^)
Mike

Thanks Mike, helpful info.

Heck I thought you'd have them turned on now.<G>
Roy

you mean he turns them off??????
<BFG>
--
----------------------------
-Chris

on here...
<VBG>
Denny
<snip>

flopping out the window, right?
Mac
<snip>

Even the wabbit is going to have a comment about you licking your heated seats, Mike.. that's pretty kinky.. Mac

Tongue warmers??????
Denny

especially when I have to argue with it about the route.. lol
We mainly changed to S&T because Delorme didn't cover baja and S&T has a little coverage there, at least the hiway and main towns..
Do you use the laptop to monitor the temp on the heated seats? Mac

Naw, I use the exhaust gas pyro gauge. I have a toggle swicth that allows me to switch between exhaust temp and tush temp.
Mike

Does it redline at taco bell? Mac

Should we even ask where you have the second thermocouple? :^)

There's one in every group ain't there Tom?
;^)
Mike

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 15:07:50 GMT, "Tom Lawrence"

Mac
Roy wrote:

You could do this:
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?tY851&highlight=ram+mac+mini
Advantages:
1) Add a Verizon PC Card or teather to a Treo Palm and buy music and videos via iTunes while driving down the road.
2) Route 66 GPS software
3) Touch screen and infared remote for convenience.
4) Mac Power!
5) Autosync your home machine with your truck when you pull into your driveway if you have a wireless network.
6) Chicks would dig you.
Disadvanatges:
1) You would pay less attention to the road, resulting in:
a. Increased road rage experiences b. a fender bender.
Craig C.

You missed this part "moved from car to truck easily" of my question. <G>
Roy

no we didn't. we just suggest you system in the car and put the car in the back of the Ram and use the nav system that way *great big grin*
--
-Chris