Navigation system revisited

Spent some time today looking at both the garmin and the tom tom. I like the screen on the garmin as it seems more visible from the side and seems
sharper. Here's the problem I found. Maybe it is just me not knowing what the hell I'm doing(shut up Denny<G>) anyway when trying to get from MA to FL it takes you over the GW bridge in NYC, the last place you want to be at anytime. I couldn't get either one of them to use the Tappen Zee and the GSP. I tried to get around using all the options I could find but no joy. Anybody ??? Larry, Chris, Mike........ Another thought, does the Streets and trips have that capability, mac?
Roy

That cut deep, really really deep............
Denny

Stop crying, you'll get over it.<VBG>
Roy

I can't speak for the Garmin or TomTom, but S&T will allow you to route yourself around something you want to avoid. If it selects a route segment you don't like, you can select an alternative more to your liking. I would be surprised if Garmin or TomTom didn't have this feature also. S&T works great, but sometimes it makes dumb decisions on routing
Mike

Thanks Mike. I nor the salesman could get it to route around the GWB. Well I could get it to take me through the tunnel which is worse.
Roy

Roy, right off the top of my head, I do not think that you have the option to choose which route you want to use.

it may have a way to tell it you don't like a route but I find it much easier to argue with betty till she agrees with me *grin*
--
----------------------------
-Chris
Roy wrote:

Streets and Trips allows you to block out an unwanted road or highway and route some other way. It also allows you to force it to route through a given point.
On my Mopar REC unit I can add multiple segments to have the same effect. I can also tell it to prefer freeways, avoid freeways, shortest route, fastest route etc.

As always, gentlemen, thank you for the info. It has been a big help.
Roy
Roy wrote:

In my NAVTEQ system, after I "set destination", I can go back and hit "set destination" again, except this time it gives me the option to "add waypoint", "add detour", "new route", and "cancel route". If I click "add detour", it gives a list of roads and I select which one I want to detour around. In my Streets and Trips, I just add destinations (just a map click on an intersection) that forces the map software to recalculate from where I want to exit to where i want to rejoin. Some also have the option of selecting the route type (fastest, shortest, toll roads, local roads, etc) but the mappers can't really sense when you want to take main roads for most of the trip and detour to a different route unless you tell it somehow. Hope this helps.
John

Which product uses the above syatem.

Maybe I'm looking for too much. In this case the GWB is the shortest mile wise, but can take up to four hours longer. To avoid this you get off I-95 in CT and use I-287 in NY and cross the Tappenzee Bridge and go down the Garden State Parkway and rejoin I-95/Jersey Turnpike. Too much info I know.

I have seen some of those choice's but they haven't done the trick for me yet.

Maybe I'll opt for Streets and Trips as it is the less expensive and see if I can get it to give me the options I want.

It has, thank's
Roy

I travel 75 & 285 seven times a week.

I'm sorry!!!! *big grin*
--
-Chris

Yeah.. you can pick your type of roads on both S&T and Street Atlas..
I have a few arguments with both on our baja route but for example, when it sets the course on hiway 5 and I want state 58, I just click a "via" on 58 and it redoes the route using it..
You can also pick the area of the bridge and tell the program to "avoid" it, I think... Mac

Thanks bro.
Roy