Need advice on towing 1,000 pound total weight boat & trailor from NJ to Florida

Hi,

I installed a class 3 hitch on my '94 Carevan LE so I can take my boat to florida. This will be a one way trip. It's supposed to be good up to 3,500 pounds.

One guy posted here recently that the transmissons in Caravans aren't all that great, and if you tow with one, don't use overdrive, which mine has.

That makes sense to me, but then I thought if the engine is reving higher, along with a heaverier load from pulling the trailer, the engine oil would get hotter than normal. If I'm right about that, should I install an auxillary engine oil cooler, or am I just being paranoid?

Can anybody recommend one?

Thanks,

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Hollywood

The problem with overdrive is that, on hills, the engine will be downshifting into 3rd, then back to 4th. It's doing this because you're using too much throttle (in it's estimation) to maintain your speed in 4th. This hunting back and forth is what's bad for the transmission. I-95 is pretty flat, so I wouldn't worry about pulling with overdrive on (especially with only 1,000lbs. Ever have the van full of people and cargo, and run in overdrive? Same deal...). If you notice the transmission downshifting into

3rd, then back to OD, then lock out OD until you're back on flat ground.

No - but the constant shifting, combined with the torque converter unlocking, will raise the temperature of the transmission. That's why you want to lock out OD if that starts happening.

You're being prudent, but there's a bit of paranoia starting to creep in. Just hook it up, drive it, and be mindful of the transmission. You'll be fine.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Tom, Thankds for the info, and reality check. I really appreciate you taking the time to fill me in. Mike

Reply to
Mike Hollywood

I"d sure look into a trans. temp cooler.

It's got to be less expensive than a new transmission.

J.

Reply to
Jason Purcell

"" wrote: > Tom, > Thankds for the info, and reality check. I really appreciate > you > taking the time to fill me in. > Mike > > > "Tom Lawrence" wrote in > message > news:%FsPe.2007$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net... > >> One guy posted here recently that the transmissons in > Caravans aren't all > >> that great, and if you tow with one, don't use overdrive, > which mine has. > >

if your really worried about it just change the tranny fluid when your done. but 1000lbs might as well be 4 big guys in your van.

Reply to
xmirage2kx