Need help fixing my stolen/recovered truck

Hello,
I've got a 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 that was stolen. The ignition was removed, so I need a new ignition and someone told me I need a new "halo" also. Has anyone done this repair? My local Advance Auto Parts
has the ignition for $70, what is the "halo"?
How difficult is the repair?
Also, I haven't started the truck in about 1 month, I would like to start it and drive it a little (or at least warm it up), is that possible (I've tried the method the crooks used to start it, but turning the broken ignition doesn't engage the starter anymore) to start the truck somehow, like my taking jumper cables the the starter moter?
Thanks

The little ring that lights up around the cylinder. It's certainly not a "required" item.

Replacing the ignition switch is fairly simple - a Haynes manual (available at the auto parts store) will cover the procedure in pretty good detail. You'll need a set of Torx screwdrivers.

You can do this, but only if the ignition switch enables the ignition circuits. If you can get the instrument panel lights to come on (like they normally do with you switch the ignition to 'ON'), you can remove the starter relay from the PDC (black box next to the battery), and use a jumper wire to connect terminal 30 to terminal 87 (these terminals will be labelled on the underside of the relay, but you'll be connecting the terminals in the relay socket, not on the relay itself). This will engage the starter motor.
If you can't get the ignition circuits energized with the switch, it's best to wait until you get the switch replaced... you don't want to go hacking up your wiring harness and splicing wires if you don't have to.
check your battery. when my 2002 Intrepid was stolen last year from the "County" parking lot (a donut shop is needed there to keep the local cops on the job) the thieves did something to the electrical system that made the battery go dead. I think that when they got the car running they couldn't turn it completely off. We had $4,800 in body/interior damage and got to keep the drugs left in the ash tray that the Dallas -and- Plano cops didn't want (not enough for a party high). As well as the blood soaked rags from when the thieves cut themselves stealing it. - Yes, got pictures too.

Abby.Normal wrote:

They were probably too busy running from false alarm to false alarm in your yuppie neighborhood to do any real police work.
Bob
I don't think so. They don't chase anyone unless they are hauling donuts.