Need help from a ball joint expert?

I have a 1996 dodge diesel 2500 2wd and I am in the process of changing the ball joints. The truck is jacked up on the frame in my garage and I have the nuts off the upper and lower ball joints. How do I get the "spindle" or axle or what ever is the correct term for it off? I have a jack under the lower arm and when I raise it it also moves the upper arm. Does it just take some heavy hitting to break it loose? I have the press to remove and replace the ball joints after I get the "spindle" off. Do I use the press to force the spindle off. Any help would be appreciated.

Ron

If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Reply to
Ron Stitt

I think that you will find the service manual for your truck to be very helpful. It will save you a lot of time and energy and you will also f*ck up less parts.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

THey way I do it is to use a fork splitter and seperate the upper ball joint stud from the upper connections first if both joints are being replaced then split the lower one. It is a "fork" designed to pop the tapered studs out and any good parts shop or discount tool place would carry them. They come in a few different sizes and you need to get the right one or a set of about 3 of them will take carry of your current and future needs.

Reply to
SnoMan

I just completed replacing all four ball joints. Thanks to the helpful emails I received.

Reply to
Ron Stitt